Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Jimmy electrical problem

samanka
04-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction. My Daughter rear-ended someone with my Jimmy and now I have several electrical problems. The damage was not that bad, just broke the grille and bent the hood. The 4 wheel drive buttons quit working, the horn won't blow, the power mirrors don't work, and the lift gate window will not "pop" when you push the button on the dash. All of the fuses check OK. Is there a relay somewhere that I am missing?

This is unrelated but the key hole on the tailgate only locks and unlocks the doors. Isn't it supposed to open the lift gate window. I can't push it in at all.

Also, if the 4WD problem turns out to be the control module under the dash, where can I get one other than at a GM dealer?

Thanks! John

DelCoch
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
In ref to the 4x4 problem, there is a vacuum box under the battery tray, check it for damage or damage to the vacuum hoses.

The rear tailgate button when activated by the key only locks-unlocks the doors and tailgate window. When it's unlocked and the button is pressed, (inside button - outside button - or key fob button) it activates an electric solenoid that pops the tailgate window. For example; if you have the battery disconnected you can't open the tailgate window - locked or unlocked. Thus, for some reason you don't have electric power going to the tailgate solenoid, or the solenoid is bad.

Will the key fob pop-open the tailgate window?

Check the fuses with a test light on both sides, rather than just looking at them. I suspect the horn wire is shorted-out due to the accident and thus a fuse is blown.

samanka
04-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks! After checking the fuse with a meter, it was blown. Didn't look like it. So... I got the lift gate, horn and dome light to work.

Now for the 4x4. I checked vacuum canister and all the vacuum lines. Everthing seems to be good. After a little checking, I can put the transfer case in 4 low and that works. But pressing 4 hi doesn't work. I can hear a small relay click but it sounds nothing like when the transfer case engages. When I press it with the tranny in Drive it does nothing. If I press 4 hi when in Neutral both 4 hi and 4 lo flash a couple times and then it goes back to 2hi. Sometimes if I press 4 hi when in 4 lo both lights flash a couple times then go out but it stays in 4 lo with no light lit. Sometimes when I press 4 lo both lights flash and then both stay on while in 4 lo. Now that I got you really confused, has anyone had any problems like this??? I was told there is a 4wd controller behind the ashtray that may need replaced. Do you know anything about that?

As for the lift gate, I don't have a key fob. The button on the dash works fine now. But the key button on the gate does not press in. Are you saying you should be able to press it in as long as the doors are unlocked? Or does the key need to be in it? If it is a push button, it must be corroded inside not letting it press in.

Thanks for the reply! John

DelCoch
04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, the button on the tailgate pushes in when the doors are unlocked. But, when the battery is disconnected it won't press in. Thus, it may not be getting current.

For the 4x4, disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then connect it again. This will reset the computer. This has worked for me when having this same type of problem with the 4x4 engaging.

I've never heard of any type of relay or module behind the dash, '98 and up have one on the firewall. Do a search on this board for 4x4, there are many post dealing with the problem you're having.

Add your comment to this topic!