Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WRX Running Rich?

aumnsoccer
04-19-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a 02 WRX, a while back I was driving and my car just died on me. It didn't stall but lost all engine power. I could push that gas pedal in and you could hear the turbo spool but it wouldn't go. Then all of the sudden it would come back and lurch forward. I took it to my dealership and they said I bought a bad batch of fuel. They drianed my fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and spark plugs. That seemed to help at first but it didn't fix the problem. It still does it... mainly if I have less than a 1/4 tank it will do it. But when it's real bad is going up hills, or around turns while I am excellerating. Sometimes it's scary when it just passes out on me, then comes back to life. Like it's not getting any fuel and then all of the sudden it fires back up. Has anyone had this or heard of anything like this?

SabreKhan
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Sounds like possibly a clog in the fuel line?

LjasonL
04-22-2007, 01:52 PM
You could hear the turbo spool?
The turbo won't spool unless you have exhaust pressure, you won't have exhaust pressure unless you're burning fuel. Either you were mistaking that noise or your problem is something completely different.
Automatic transmission?

aumnsoccer
04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
You could hear the turbo spool?
The turbo won't spool unless you have exhaust pressure, you won't have exhaust pressure unless you're burning fuel. Either you were mistaking that noise or your problem is something completely different.
Automatic transmission?

I don't know... it sounds like the engine is revving and the turbo is spooling... but the rpms don't go up and it eventually stalls the car out. It's a manual transmission.

freakray
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know... it sounds like the engine is revving and the turbo is spooling... but the rpms don't go up and it eventually stalls the car out. It's a manual transmission.

If the rpm's don't go up, the turbo isn't spooling. Also, keep in mind unless you've eliminated the intake silencer you can barely hear the turbo anyway.

An engine idling still has revs, they're just at idle.

Now, what is happening when the car stalls? Does it sound like the fuel supply has been cut off?
If you wait a minute and then try to start the car up, will it start right up?

If this is the case, then it's as mentioned before, you have a blockage in the fuel line. Take the car back to a garage that can check fuel pressure and have them check the pressure and also the lines, it sounds like you need somebody to flush the lines though with a good cleaning solution.

Add your comment to this topic!