Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Not modding the Civic, bought an NSX instead

Setanta
10-15-2002, 05:27 AM
Well, not a real one (I'm sure no-one was suckered in by this :D ).

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_0eb342a578550275c30b9429d8a003a9/i-1.JPG

It's a Bit Char-G NSX-R micro RC car. The things are tiny - they literally fit in the palm of your hand and run off a small battery that is charged for 45 seconds and will run the car for 4-6 minutes.

Char-Gs only come in two frequencies, so you can only run two at a time, have a range of about 10 meters and can be modded with higher RPM motors, different compound tyres, gearing etc. Set up for dragging, drifting or circuit racing if you want to spend the money. Racing is done on the kitchen floor, dining table etc :)

Messed around with a friend's Skyline today and got hooked on it.

Finding them in Australia is pure hell - imported from Japan, we only get the S2000 and Skyline GTR, but this was a (wait for it) a private import that I found on ebay for 55 bucks (they usually go for 45-60 bucks).

Nice review and info here on the Char-g:
http://www.casejunkiez.com/reviews/other/bit_char-g.shtml

Now - anyone else want to pick one up and go racing? ;)

taranaki
10-15-2002, 06:44 AM
best watch out for the private imports....getting parts for them can be hell,and the insurance can be hard to swallow.........;)

pinyo8
10-15-2002, 07:08 AM
I have the bit Char-G NSX as well! I will have to give you a race one day, although be warned, I have already upgraded the motor on it. muawhahaha. I bought it when I was in Japan just a couple of weeks ago (went on a holiday there). I also have the new Z and i use the same remote as I bought the one with the same frequency.

Spunkymonkey
10-15-2002, 09:36 PM
I've got my hand powered S2000 :silly:

Spec2 Girl
10-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Setanta
Finding them in Australia is pure hell - imported from Japan, we only get the S2000 and Skyline GTR, How much are the GTRs and where do you get them from?? :p

Oz
10-15-2002, 10:59 PM
You didn't get anyone because we all know your profession and the theiving bastard government pay! :mad:

Boys and their toys - have a blast with it!

Setanta
10-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Spec2 Girl
How much are the GTRs and where do you get them from?? :p

I'm still trying to find them Spec2 Girl. Hobbyco were out of stock although they go there for about 50 bucks Australian. If you do a search at ebay here

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=char-g&ebaytag1code=15&shortcut=2&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

You'le find some Evos, WRX and GTRs there - there's a Skyline limited Edition pack for 70 odd bucks Australian that comes with 3 shells - looks like the R32, R33 and the old 1970s 240K-GT Coupe (the original skyline). Only one chassis, but all Char-G shells are interchangable.

I want the 240K-GT body myself - I used to own one - I just realised, it was my first car, not a Civic ;)

If I see one here (they were remarketed as the Compact Char-G, not the JDM Bit Char-G) I'll let you know.

pinyo8 - I've just bought an OEM 3.0 motor to mod my NSX - 30000rpm and a ton of torque. I really wanted the 2.6 as the 3.0 is slower off the line but makes up the speed faster, but couldn't find one. Apparently it's crap for handling but awesome for straightline speed.

If I can find a 2.2 or 2.6 I'd be happy, but will get another one and set up a drag car on soft compound and track car on medium.

This is soooo much cheaper than doing up real cars.

pinyo8
10-16-2002, 03:22 AM
Oh ok, you got the 3.0 motor. I had the 2.2, which is probably perfect for all round (although I read somewhere that the 1.6 was) drivability, and I upgraded mine to the 2.6. Even with that, when you turn a bit quickly, the car just crashes. Luckily, I have the 2speed gearbox which allows me to go at 1.0 speed then boost up to the max motor speed which is really great. Do you have that as well? I bought a drift kit for it but its a bit of a waste of time. as it just does donuts all they long (might have to try it on a different track).

Will probably get some different ratios later but for now, this will do me.

Setanta
10-16-2002, 05:38 AM
You got the booster controller? Cool - Haven't been able to find one yet.

If you want to sell the 2.2 motor let me know - I know what you're saying about the 2.6, apparently all the big motors are a pain if you dont back right off in the corners - straight line they rock, that's about it. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a 1.0 and a 3.0.

pinyo8
10-16-2002, 05:55 AM
Both my cars came stock with a 2.2 and I unfortunately gave my other 2.2 to my friend. (He's got the initialD trueno and that came with a 1.0 motor).

If you really want one, I can ask my friend in Japan to get them for you. Apparently, there are sites that sells all upgrade for them at quite a reasonable price. I remembered looking through them quickly but cant remember exactly which site.

Also, I have a skyline GTR shell for it as well. 2 in fact, one is clear, and one is red.

And yes, these Bit Char-G rocks!! So much cheaper than doing up my CRX which is really becoming a HUGH money pit. I still love it nevertheless.

Spec2 Girl
10-16-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm still trying to find them Spec2 Girl. Hobbyco were out of stock although they go there for about 50 bucks Australian. If you do a search at ebay here

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=char-g&ebaytag1code=15&shortcut=2&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Thanks for that Setanta. I'll have a look and also have a search on google and see what I can find. :)

Spunkymonkey
10-17-2002, 02:56 AM
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~attse/honduh.htm

is this what the finished product will look like? :silly:

Setanta
10-17-2002, 04:18 AM
LOL @ Q :D

*sigh*

Just went and bought the Skyline limited edition set, a 2.6 and two 2.2 motors, plus the 3.0 motor.

On the shopping list is the soft compound tyres (well, a set of all 3 compounds) and the different ratio gears (if they are available). Haven't been able to find suspension parts yet.

Going to set one car up for track and one for drags :) Prolly play with the 2.2 and the 2.6 to see which is better balanced for track work.

Spec 2 Girl, there is a S2000 for sale on Ebay - bidding is currently $1 Au - if you got it cheap enough, you could pick up a skyline shell... Shells usually go for about 12 bucks.

The S2000 for sale is the aussie market one that comes with the 2.2 motor standard, not the series 1 JDM that only got the 1.0

No 2 speed booster kits unfortunately :(

Spec2 Girl
10-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Spec 2 Girl, there is a S2000 for sale on Ebay - bidding is currently $1 Au - if you got it cheap enough, you could pick up a skyline shell... Shells usually go for about 12 bucks.
Thanks Setanta. I contacted both Hobbies Direct and auspcmarket, both of which said they will should be getting more in stock in the next few weeks, so I’ll hang on and wait for more stock to arrive. :D

Setanta
10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
No worries. Apparently there is a shop in Chinatown in Sydney which sells them as well. I'm going in to see if they have parts, but will keep an eye out at the same time for you. Also, it looks like there will be an importer starting up in Canberra in November, so if you have no luch, there should be plenty of options :)

Cheers

Spec2 Girl
10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
No worries. Apparently there is a shop in Chinatown in Sydney which sells them as well. I'm going in to see if they have parts, but will keep an eye out at the same time for you. Also, it looks like there will be an importer starting up in Canberra in November, so if you have no luch, there should be plenty of options :)

Cheers Cool. Thanks again. I'll be in Sydney the week after next so I can have a look around while I'm there. :)

Add your comment to this topic!