car cuts out at higher rpm/speed NEED HELP!

nick96gst
04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone new to this sight. need help!!
i have a 96 eclipse gs-t 2.0 Cuts out at higher speeds 60 and above or lower speed if i get on it. changed fuel filter, Plugs, Wires. The Injectors and coils were check and ok. No codes at this time. Compression check showed 180, 178, 178 and 180. I am thinking fuel pump but haven't checked yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NOFX0617
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Could you please put any modifications in your signature so we know what exactly you have done to your car. Without that info it is hard to tell. Could be a number of things. Is it at a certain speed, or maybe at a certain rprm. Does it only happen when you are putting the pedal to the floor?

gthompson97
04-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Could you elaborate more on what "cuts out" means? Do the rpms just drop down to nothing and then pick up again after the car slows down? Do the rpms just stay the same and the car just won't go any faster? Does the car physically "shut down"? A little more elaboration would greatly help.

l_eclipse_l
04-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Do you recall what plugs you put in and what gap you set them to? Many times people will put platinum or off-brand plugs in and this tends to cause problems, or they forget to gap them properly.

nick96gst
04-18-2007, 10:23 PM
the aftermarket parts i have in my car are:
turbo not sure what kind but its pushing about 16 lbs of boost
turbo xs blowoffvalve
turbo timer
greddy exhaust system

basically my eclipse in 2nd through 5 gear cuts out, like in 2nd about 5k its cuts out or studders and then when i shift to 3rd it well gain about 10mph or so then cut out ot stuuders again, then ill shift to 4th etc. and car tops out at about 80mph

thanks for help
if thats not enough info ill try to explain better

nick96gst
04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
the problem started before i got new plugs but,
i got bosch platinum pre-gapped
if that helps

gthompson97
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Put in some regular NGK plugs, that should get rid of the studder as it starts boosting, if that's the problem.

NOFX0617
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah I would also suggest the NGKs...at the same time you should find out what turbo is on the car...you could be hitting fuel cut if you are on the stock fuel system.

nick96gst
04-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks I will get the ngk plugs tomorrow and try them, but i been running with these after market parts for 4 months and no problems. this just started two weeks ago and i started replacing the obvious parts first.

BoostedSpyder
04-18-2007, 11:02 PM
just dropped this in another post, seems like a boost leak. check all the IC pipes and especialy around the BOV. do you have aftermarket IC pipes?

and the NGK's are BPR7ES's. gap to .028. stocks are the BPR6ES's and the 7's are better [1 step colder]

spyderturbo007
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Definately get rid of the Platinum plugs. They are not good for a turbo charged vehicle and will cause all sorts of problems. They retain more heat than standard copper plugs, mostly for the benefit of a longer plug life. This normally causes knock because of the newly created hot spot in the cylinder. Knock = timing loss = inconsistent acceleration.

Add your comment to this topic!