Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Better Head?

bloodyprice
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a 98 Integra GSR with a B18C1, and i know Typr R's have B18C5's, and im pretty sure the C1 and C5 head is interchangeable, but i was wondering.
Is the C5 head faster or better in any way than the C1?
And would it be effective to switch to a C5?

CivicSpoon
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
The ITR head comes with more aggressive cams, has a mildly ported head, and shares the same intake manifold bolt pattern as the B16B and B16A (different than the B18C1). The cams will help performance a little. The mild P&P helps it flow a little better. And the IM bolt pattern makes it a little cheaper when purchasing aftermarket IMs. The B18C1 IM is designed to give good low end torque and then opens up ("secondary butterfly"/Intake Air Bipass) to give good high end power at vtec engagement. The other vtec B-series IMs don't have this feature. Also the B18C1 head gives the engine a slightly higher compression ratio (smaller combustion chamber), so switching to the ITR head will lower the compression (you'll lost a little power from it). So honestly you won't really see a whole lot of difference by swapping.

bloodyprice
04-18-2007, 09:24 PM
alright thanks

i just always heard the Type R's were faster, and figured it was the head diffrence,

but id much rather prefer low end torque and the higher compression, for right now

Schister66
04-20-2007, 02:22 PM
IMO the power gain from the head swap is not worth the cost....

Add your comment to this topic!