Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vibration in steering wheel

david-b
04-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey;
I've been noticing while driving, lets say on the expressway doing 60, if I turn the wheel slightly to the left, there is a vibration in the steering wheel. It doesn't do it as much when to the right, however I believe it's still there. When going left then, it makes like a rough sound. It's hard to explain. But there's a different sound coming from the suspension or wheels then. But it goes away when the wheel is back straight again. Any ideas on what this can be? Thanks.

Killa
04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey;
I've been noticing while driving, lets say on the expressway doing 60, if I turn the wheel slightly to the left, there is a vibration in the steering wheel. It doesn't do it as much when to the right, however I believe it's still there. When going left then, it makes like a rough sound. It's hard to explain. But there's a different sound coming from the suspension or wheels then. But it goes away when the wheel is back straight again. Any ideas on what this can be? Thanks.

low balljoint ? my did kinda same thing few week ago, then I got it check and replace by dealer.

david-b
04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
And as I know you now this... I've had the lower control arms/joints replaced already. New tires and alignment also.

EDMUND65
04-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Ya, why bother having a seperate forum to keep the main one clean if you're just going to advertise your own stuff. Please lock this before I get really angry.

so why do you do the same thing is what has me totally confused?

Mikelb
04-18-2007, 10:39 AM
What's your PS fluid look like??? if it's murky, try replacing it... if it absorbs water, that can be bad news for your steering...

I'm going to have to say check the bolts in the control arm, make sure they are more than tight...

Also, check the alignment (I really believe the problem lies here)

l_eclipse_l
04-18-2007, 11:43 AM
so why do you do the same thing is what has me totally confused?
My guess is to prove a point.

David for your problem, I would also check the PS fluid and make sure it's all good. Does it do it any other time except when turning left slightly at that speed?

david-b
04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
That's when it's most noticable. Like anything above 50 is when you really feel it and hear it, but it does do it always. I will drain the PS fluid probably this weekend and refill. See what's going on with that. I think it may be something else though. And there's still that popping sound when I make turns coming from the front also still. Been doing that since I got the car.

I may take it to my shop to get it checked out. I'm not a true DSMer apparently so I know nothing.

Mikelb
04-18-2007, 12:12 PM
And there's still that popping sound when I make turns coming from the front also still. Been doing that since I got the car.

that sounds like cv joints...

your other problem sounds like it might be alignment. I suggest checking the bolts in the control arm first though... I've had one come loose at 60MPH and that's no fun... especially when you have no f'in idea what it was.

So, I suggest, checking all suspension bolts, and getting aligment checked...

BoostedSpyder
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
i would first take it back to the guy's that did the suspension work and make sure that everything is still tight. you never know if something has come loose or was not Tq'd correct.

also it sounds like it may be a balance issue. one of the balance wieghts may have come off and your tire could be out of balance. symptoms are there, happens at higher speed where the force would be most noticable in the turning moment. ever held a bycicle tire while it was spinning and moved it around? same thing.

as for the sound that has always been there, worry when it goes away. that will probably be the bad note.

best.

Add your comment to this topic!