Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Eclipse Fuel Pump won't run

Spit
04-17-2007, 04:52 PM
A buddy of mine just called me. It seems his son's 98 Eclipse 2.0 litre engine will not run. He suspected the fuel pump and jumped it with 12volts and the pump does run. However when he tries to start the car without jumping the pump the pump does not run.

He has tried to replace the fuel pump relay without any success. Is there someone who can advise me...is there a seperate fuel pump fuse and if so where is it located. Is there a maxi-fuse that controls this and other circuits? Is it wired through a fusable link?

I know nothing about Eclipses, I know most cars have an emergency shut off relay or switch in case of an impact/car flip. where is that located? I know some cars have a low oil pressure switch that shuts off the fuel pump. Does this car have one and if so, where is it located.

He has a Haynes manual..but says he can't find any sort of a fuse for the fuel pump, I sent him some information on testing relays, but based on what he told me about replacing them with no results nit's probably not the relay assuming he did that right. He's not a real electrical problem wizard so his wiring diagram reading and testing/troubleshooting might be a little shaky
I'm telling him he needs to test for voltage at the fuel pump relay and work back from there...Are ground problems common on Eclipses? If so is there a particular location that is more trouble prone...for this type of problem

Not to confuse the issue but about a month ago the car needed a battery and Dad was recovering from surgery and...Junior hooked the battery up backwards...and it did blow a maxi-fuse. Car has run for 3-4 weeks since then so maybe it's not a factor. Son shut it off the other day wouldn't restart which brings us full circle on the problem..any input would be appreciated.

Spit

gthompson97
04-17-2007, 05:13 PM
There are some relays on the drivers-side firewall behind the strut tower. You may want to try test them.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5892/relaysas1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Spit
04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Gthompson97

Thanks for the input I will advise him accordingly...
I am familar with the ASD and Fuel Pump relay...does the 3rd one (EATX) have any effect on the fuel pump? Also are there any fuses that you are aware of? I stopped at an Auto Zone and looked at the Haynes Manual and the wiring diagrams section was pretty weak, it didn't show the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or the circuit itself on any of the diagrams in the book.

Thanks

Spit

spyderturbo007
04-18-2007, 08:36 AM
I know with the 4g63's, the ECU won't run the fuel pump until it receives feedback from the CAS. Not sure about the N/T's though.

Add your comment to this topic!