Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headlight relay s-10

frankmc
04-17-2007, 04:00 PM
1997 s-10 p/u daytime running lights work, headlights do not. Heard relay chattering in glove box. bought new relay and tried in all 3 positions to find bad one. no luck. any thoughts - answers? thanx

old_master
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
The DRL's, (Daytime Running Lights) use the high beam, (inner) bulbs. When you turn the headlight switch on, do the high beam headlights work? If both of the low beam, (outer) bulbs are inoperative, make sure the bulbs are not burned out.

frankmc
04-18-2007, 05:21 AM
with emergency brake on (DRL's off) low or high beams do not work, i may try changing the headlamps anyway - thanx

muddog321
04-18-2007, 06:39 AM
If that is true then would point to the headlight switch itself which contains all the auto on/off and delay features - they commonly fail (had my 98 and 01 already fail) but most often its the dome light feature that fails. Do the lights work when you manually turn them on?

frankmc
04-19-2007, 05:33 AM
the headlights do not come on at all at this point. only the DRL's work. all other lights are fine including dome light. initially the headlights would dim and i could hear what sounded like the relay in the glove box chattering. when this would happen the DRL indicator on the dash would start to faintly appear. i'm ready to bend over and take it to the dealer.

jbcad
01-06-2010, 05:08 AM
I have what sounds like the exact same problem with a 1997 Bravada. Occasionally the headlights actually work but more often not. Has anybody determined what fixes the problem?? Please respond if you have any experience with this issue. Thanks

bozr
01-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Check the relay socket too.
Had this problem recently on a friends Eldorado, the dealer couldn't find it either. What happened was the connection in the socket either got bent or hot and lost spring tension to make contact with the prong on the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!