Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel System Question

paulstalonesi
04-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey guys,
Im starting to work on my 95 turbo now that i sold my 98 n/t. My car is running extremely shitty right now and is totally gutless. When you hammer on the car it feels like it wants to pick up then all of a sudden it will just die and then keep going really slowly. A guy i know that knows alot more about Turbo systems than i do did some research and he thinks that my fuel system is not big enough to support my turbo. My question to you guys is do i have to upgrade my entire fuel system(pump,injectors, lines, regulators etc..) or can i just recirculate the BOV and maybe the car should run like it should because it will be using the MAF sensor like it should be.
Any comments, suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

gthompson97
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
What kind of boost are you trying to run?

paulstalonesi
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Im not trying to run any crazy amount of boost right now, i just want the car to run right and then take it from there. Right now im just running the stock boost.

gthompson97
04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Does it "stutter" when it starts to boost, or just "not boost"? If it "stutters" and then starts to pick up, replace the plugs with some regular NGKs.

paulstalonesi
04-17-2007, 10:22 PM
The car doesnt really stutter, just when it wants to hit full boost it cuts out then continues on just as gutless as before it got to the cut out point.

NOFX0617
04-18-2007, 12:32 AM
You are running a T4 turbo on 500cc injectors and a stock fuel pump?

gthompson97
04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
You are running a T4 turbo on 500cc injectors and a stock fuel pump?

That was going to be my next question........ prick. :lol:

paulstalonesi
04-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I think the injectors are only 400cc and yes the fuel system is stock.

gthompson97
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Upgrade the injectors and pump ASAP! I wouldn't even want to drive it like that, I can't imagine the fuel cut you are hitting. Get a Walbro 255 and some bigger injectors. You'll also need something to control them, I suggest either an safc or if you can front the cash, go with link.

NOFX0617
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah definitely replace both the injectors and fuel pump. I would also go with the Walbro 255 for the fuel pump. As far as injectors go I would probably go with at least some 660's but if you want to get everything out of that turbo you might want to go bigger. So that means you should probably go with DSMlink to control those bad boys.

BoostedSpyder
04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
not to say that your fuel system is not cutting it, because you need some serious upgrades if you like the engine you have in the car now.

fuel cut is a violent thing. like 'OMG i just broke my car' violent. you would be on here thinking that you dropped a piston if that were the case.

also, misfires are like little fuel cuts, because fuel cut in itself is not fuel cut at all. the ECU drops the spark, so no scary bang in cylinder. you probably need new plugs anyways. NGK BPR7ES. accept nothing less.

also, check for a boost leak as well. it seems like you are getting a bunch of problems, but nothing all commanding, that all could be related to a boost leak.

boost leak tester (http://machv.com/macvleaktes.html)

start with the free stuff and work your way thru it. boost leaks are most common at the BOV and IC pipe connections.

turn down the boost to 12psi and see what happens. you should be nowhere near fuel cut and misfires should not happen that low, unless you really have fucked up plugs.

spyderturbo007
04-19-2007, 08:12 AM
If you have a logger, you can take a look at your actual airflow and determine if you are out of injector. Could also be nasty knock which leads to the ECU jacking your timing. I had this happen a couple of times and it feels someone killed my acceleration.

WaFFeL
04-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Either way you should really upgrade your injectors and your pump asap. And an SAFC isnt a bad idea either

paulstalonesi
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Well i just got the recirculation adapter for the BOV valve in today. Right now the BOV isnt hooked up to the intake but hopefully by the end of the day it will and that will eliminate some of my problems such as the car not idiling when it warms up. As far as the fuel system goes, will i just be needing a new pump and new injectors? Or will i need new lines and a regulator? And in regards to the SAFC 2, is that highly recommended? Im kinda on the fence about the whole project because i was planning on selling the car mid-end of summer, so im not sure if i should spend the thousand bucks or go back to a stock turbo/manifold. Im interested to hear what you guys think in regards to this matter???

gthompson97
04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Pump, injectors, afpr, and safc/logger combo, that's what I'd do.

NOFX0617
04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
If you upgrade the injectors you definitly need the AFC other wise you will just run rich all the time. There is a big argument about the FPR being needed on a 255 fuel pump. It is not necessary but it is a good idea.

Add your comment to this topic!