Strange noise coming from belt area

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 01:20 AM
I recently bought a 93 chevy corsica 3.1L 6Cyl. I changed the oil and checked all the fluids and such (have yet to change tranny fluid, its a bit on the yellow side) and it was running great and then started making a noise like something stuck in a fan, but it only happens in gear.... the car doesnt lose power or anything but the a/c doesnt work and from what i was told when i bought the car it hasnt for quite a while...
maybe a dying a/c compressor pulley or something?
any ideas would be greatly apreciated :)
TIA

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 01:54 PM
By the way. I also get an error 33 and 66 when I do the ALCL paperclip thing.

jsgold
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
code 33 is for 4 cyl quad 4 engines(according to a web site I checked), shows problems with MAF sensor. I will try to verify this later tonight as I am not sure about this. Yours should have a MAP not a MAF. Code 66 is low pressure on a/c, which you know does not work. I have found that alternators, water pumps, a/c compressors and belt tensioners are all likely culprits on our GM cars as far as noise, BUT, a transmission can do this as well. Only way to be sure is unhook your serpentine belt and see if you can detect a loud bearring worn pump etc. by turning the various items by hand, and then start the car for a few seconds and see if the nosie is still there in gear. If it is then the transmission is suspect.

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I have noticed the belt tensioner does move alot, could that be causing a clacking noise? it only seems to do it when im driving.

jsgold
04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
They do wear out and can cause a lot of noise. In fact I have a 95 Beretta I just bought that has a bad one on it. But I have also had the water pump on our 91 Corsica as well as numerous alternators make noise as well. I had an old Buick that had a worn out compressor that I had to replace. It really made a noise. Sometimes it is hard to pin point though, and I am pretty sure on yours it is like my 95 Beretta (similar to Corsica, they share same GM service manual) and the belt is a MAJOR pain to deal with. The 3.1 mulit ports like my 91 is easy, but I know 94 and 95's have to have the engine mount removed and the engine blocked up to remove the belt as well as the tensioner, which has to be removed from under the front wheel area. Not sure on a 93...

CaptainTrips
05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, got the noise fixed. I had a friend notice that the a/c compressor was kicking in for no apparent reason, he unplugged a wire from it and now the noise has stopped and the car runs MUCH smoother :)
Just figured i would share the resolution in case anyone else runs into this :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!