Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump???

ryan_975
04-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Ok, I have a 92 PA with an interesting problem. When the engine is cold it starts right up and can drive around town all day without much of a fuss, as long as we don't shut it off. However, if we drive up to the store and shut it off to go in, then when we come back out the silly thing won't start for about 30 minutes. It turns over, but never hits. I've checked for spark and it's there. I've changed the fuel filter, no effect. Now, to make things a bit more interesting, the ONLY time it'll do this is if the outside temp reaches 65F or higher during the day. Once it goes under 65F again, the car always starts no matter how long it's been since it was shut off.

Could this be the fuel pump getting weak? If so, how do I change it? Please, don't tell me I have to drop the tank. If that's the case, then my next post will be a link to a video of the car burning to the ground.

Thanks, any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Loekee75
04-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Have your gasoline and matches ready because, yes, the fuel pump is inside the tank. Just be certain the pump really is the problem before you light 'er up!

ryan_975
04-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Have your gasoline and matches ready because, yes, the fuel pump is inside the tank. Just be certain the pump really is the problem before you light 'er up!

Yeah, I knew the pump was inside the tank. I was just hoping there was an access port under the back seat or in the trunk somewhere. But after ripping everything out of back of the car in desperation, I found nothing. Oh well. Called the fire department and aparantly it's illegal to intentionally burn one's own stuff in this city. That figures.

But, what else could it be if it's not the pump? My dad mentioned the crank position sensor, but he's an old school mechanic and hates electronic cars. So he's just shooting stuff out there.

northstar1958
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Thats a big symptom of a bad fuel pump.....same thing happend to me a few years back with a 91....run all day...shut it off and it wouldn't start or even fire for 30 to 45 minutes.....changed the pump....cured the problem....if your not getting any codes for any other problem, you can bet its your fuel pump...
good luck

northstar

ryan_975
04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Thats a big symptom of a bad fuel pump.....same thing happend to me a few years back with a 91....run all day...shut it off and it wouldn't start or even fire for 30 to 45 minutes.....changed the pump....cured the problem....if your not getting any codes for any other problem, you can bet its your fuel pump...
good luck

northstar

Yeah, that figures. It can't be something simple. There's no codes so I guess it's the fuel pump. And I just abesntmindedly fill up the tank :banghead: . Oh well, I get my buddy to help me do this. Thanks every one.

ryan_975
04-19-2007, 09:10 PM
After 9 hours me and a buddy got the fuel pump changed and only spilled 5 gallons of gas. It's running great, much much more power. We can actually hear the pump kicking on and off loud and clear. Drove around the block to get the temp up and cut it off. Restarted it abuot ten minutes later without a problem. My wife's taking it out to get supper now. We'l see if it fixes it for good. :D

Now if I can just find a driver's side tail light lens for it.

ryan_975
04-20-2007, 01:27 AM
hmmm, didn't fix it afterall. Took my dad home and stopped by the gas station, turned it off (I thought the problem was fixed). When I came back out to the car, it wouldn't start again. But, this time it only took about 2 mintues to restart. Last night it took 8 hours before it'd restart again. So, now what?

Oh, I just realized that none of the warning message lights are coming on, but all the guage cluster indicator lamps are. What would cause this? And can it be related to the start/'no-start problem?

Add your comment to this topic!