Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'93 Lock-up torque converter problem

DjDio
04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
My lock-up torque converter is staying locked on. It wont unlock and when i come to a stop my car stalls. I have to rev it up to 4 grand and slam it into gear to go anywhere. It happened to me in the city so at every stoplight i was laying rubber cause i had to jam it in gear at high revs. What would cause this? My cruise control works properly so i dont think it has anything to do with my brake switch cause my cruise shuts off when i tap my brake pedal. No SES light on.

maxwedge
04-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Usually a stuck tcc solenoid, it is in the trans side cover, book time about 5.0 hours.

polarzak
04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Have the same problem. I just disconnected the electrical plug to the converter.
You will not have lock up, but at least you can drive smoothly until you get it fixed. I never did get mine fixed.

maxwedge
04-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Driving with no tcc can cause the fluid to overheat, be aware of this,.

Scrapper
04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
i agree ttc just done it on my 93 buick skylark grand sport but you unplug it you will have problems down the road..then it will cost you....burnt tranny..
good luck to you tho....i'm out of here 4 about a
week to fort hood texas....

maxwedge
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey, Scapper, good luck with your service commitment.

Smith1000
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I have put quite a few miles on my '97 with the tcc locked-out. Have a switch on the tcc wire that applies 12 volts to lock it out continuously. The real problem with mine is in the transmission valve body which causes the vehicle to "fishbite" or surge when cruising with the tcc locked in (from what I understand). This is primarily a problem in the warmer months when the transmission is running hotter (some problem with the seals). Thought I would run it until it the tranny went out completely and it needed a rebuild. It will soon turn over 175, 000 miles, both transmission and engine are original. I added Slick 50 transmission fluid years ago and Lucas additive at one point. That was over 100,000 miles ago. I am planning on driving it until it reaches 200,000 miles (if it makes it) and then I'll look for something else-maybe a Park Avenue.

m-sanborn
04-18-2007, 05:46 AM
You really cant unplug it on these trannys. You have to cut the wire for the tcc itself. Unplugging it will put the tranny in failsafe mode cause its a 4t60e. I cannot say which color wire to cut for this but with a little research you can find out. I cut mine but yours may be different cause its a '93. I disabled the tcc on my '97 Pontiac Trans Sport at about 100,000 miles and i now have 225,000 miles on it with no problems so i dont really think disabling the tcc is an issue.

polarzak
04-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Driving with no tcc can cause the fluid to overheat, be aware of this,.

Well, this did not seem to be a problem for me. I believe I disconnected it around 100,000 miles and I drove the car until it had 301,000 miles on it and it had no tranny problems. Just my experience.

maxwedge
04-18-2007, 08:19 AM
The torque convertors in the transmissions are very loose ( stall speed) to compensate for poor engine torque, this looseness in the tc generates more heat in the trans, that being said, if driven at cruise speeds as opposed to constant hard acceleration from the lock up point up to higher speeds, less heat is generated by the tc slippage issue.

Smith1000
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
When did torque converter lock-ups first appear? About what year? Someone was telling me that the none of the automatic transmissions in the 70's had torque converter lock-ups. Maybe it was the early 80s. I am pretty sure the first car I had with a tcc lock-up was an 86 Olds.

m-sanborn
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, the plug on my tranny has 7 wires going to it. Older trannys (not electronic), i believe only have two. Unplugging these with only two wires is the tcc only while mine also controls the shifting along with the modulator. Older ones used a throttle valve cable from the throttle body with the gas pedal line to control upshifts and downshifts. I have driven mine in all kinds of conditions from cruising the White Mountains in NH to doing my weekly 6 hour commute down the highway doing 75 mph and have had no problems. And i dont drive it easy either. Floored through the gears on toll booth and on-ramp take offs and driving it hard through the hilly sections of the mountains. I have had good luck with it i guess. But it also isnt the first vehicle i've disabled the tcc on. And i've never had problems with overheating and such.

Scrapper
04-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Hey, Scapper, good luck with your service commitment.

yah i went to see 1 of my son's.i'm retired now done my time.but he's off and was ready to go..when i talk to him again i'lL tell him about this message i got...THANKS AGAIN.....

Add your comment to this topic!