Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Windstar Power Window Problem

tleeburks
04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a 97 windstar. The power window control that controls the passenger window on both buttons (drivers side and passenger side) does not work or respond. The drivers side window works fine. Could someone direct me as to what might be wrong? Thanks

96wWindstar180K
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
It could be numerous things. I would guess it is probabley the window regulator or motor. The chances of both switches going at the same time are unlikely. If you remove the door panel you can check for voltage at the motor. In order to remove the door panel you have to remove the switches in the panel. You could check for voltage at the switch first. The fact the other window is working is unlikely a fuse or a relay. The switch can be tested this way. Testing of the master window regulator control switch should be performed with the master window regulator control switch removed from the vehicle. Use a self-powered test lamp or an ohmmeter such as Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter 105-R0051 or equivalent.

Clip one test lead probe on Pin 6 (ground).
With both toggle switches in the neutral position, Pins 1, 2, 3 and 4 should have continuity to Pin 6.
Push both toggle switches to raise both windows. Both Pins 1 and 3 should have no continuity to Pin 6.
Push both toggle switches to lower both windows. Both Pins 2 and 4 should have no continuity to Pin 6.
Remove the test lead from Pin 6 and connect to Pin 5 (hot feed pin). With both toggle switches in the neutral position, Pin 5 should have continuity only with itself.
Push both toggle switches to raise both windows. Both Pins 1 and 3 should have continuity to Pin 5.
Push both toggle switches to lower both windows. Both Pins 2 and 4 should have continuity to Pin 5.
If any one toggle switch does not test as stated, replace the complete master window regulator control switch.Single Window Switch

Use a self-powered test light or an ohmmeter to test the window regulator control switch.
With the window regulator control switch in the neutral position, there should be continuity between terminals 1 and 3, 2 and 5, and 4 and 6.
With the toggle switch pushed downward, there should be continuity between terminals 2, 4 and 5, and 1 and 3. Terminal 6 should be disconnected from any other terminal.
With the toggle switch pushed upward, there should be continuity between terminals 2, 3 and 5, and 4 and 6. Terminal 1 should be disconnected from any other terminal.
If the window regulator control switch does not test as stated, replace the window regulator control switch.
This is the process for a 96 Windstar Im almost sure it would be the same for 97 and 98

Doug360
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Another possibility is the wire going to the driver's side button. If the Windstar is like other vehicles I've worked on, the the power first goes to the drivers side switch and then to the passenger side. Perhaps there is a break within the flexible portion between the body and the door (drivers side). Try wiggling the wires at that flexible section and pushing the button at the same time. Never know you might get lucky.

tleeburks
04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
I tested the power switches today. I took off the good one from the drivers side, drivers window and put it on the passenger side. no go. so, like you said it is probably the motor or window regulator control switch. But where can I find the window regulator control switch? I am assuming it is in the door along with the motor. Anyone know approximate cost of either items? I'm gonna do a check after this on pricing. I appreciate your ongoing advise. thanks

96wWindstar180K
04-21-2007, 11:41 PM
tleeburks
Your next step is to remove the door panel and check for power at the motor. Disconnect the connector at the motor and check and see if there is voltage from one of the wires to ground when the the switch is pressed. One wire for up and the other for down. Look for parts of the track assembly in the bottom of the door. Sometimes the window will bind and not open or close. Post your findings. Chances are it is the motor.

Add your comment to this topic!