Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So Much Detail??????

fullbloodchop01
10-14-2002, 11:38 AM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/750298blue15.jpg http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/964075blue18.jpg
in most of the itr ive seen there has been soo much detail in the engine and everytime i try to get so much detail it come out messed up, like in the pics above the line are so perfect and even the H and the VTEC are done perfectly how do u people do this? and it has a dipstick and even a ground wire WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!please can someone give me som etips as too how i can make my engine come out to look this good

nubiannupe
10-14-2002, 11:56 AM
What I'm trippin' on is that CF cold air intake!:eek: The rest of that, I did on MY ITR, but I wanna know how da flock did they do THAT???:confused:

Guiddy
10-14-2002, 12:44 PM
The tip you are looking for is experience and practice, the two things that can't be bought I'm afraid!!!
It just comes with time and lots of model building! Be patient, and it will come. Never rush model building either, that shows. He was patient as each of those colours dried off in that engine bay.
Which looks awesome BTW! Very impressive!

Joe Ortiz
10-14-2002, 01:23 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: Very nice!!

hirofkd
10-14-2002, 01:25 PM
Also, study pictures of the real ITR, both normal and tuned. You have to know something about real car's engine and other parts when detailing a model.
Wiring comes down to five major categories, such as, electrical wires, air hoses, hot and cold water pipes, fuel lines, and various oil tubes(engine, brake and ABS). (Am I missing something?)
Identify those lines, and organize yourself, and the detailing work would be somewhat less complicated.

Lownslow
10-14-2002, 01:42 PM
for starters you need a "pinvise" with lots o drill bits.and you need some wire i use 20 to 24 gauge for spark plug wire (still figuring out the accuracy of both on engines) and 30 gauge for small engine spark plug wire. i started detailing a while back, im still working on the engine after that its brake lines and such

fullbloodchop01
10-14-2002, 04:17 PM
well what should i use to get s good paint job on the little tings like the VTEC lettering and all of the other hard o paint areas
:confused: :confused:

fullbloodchop01
10-14-2002, 07:26 PM
like do people mask of the areas on the engine or do u just use some special little thing:frog:

935k3
10-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by fullbloodchop01
well what should i use to get s good paint job on the little tings like the VTEC lettering and all of the other hard o paint areas
:confused: :confused:

That engine looks like it has had Bare Metal Foil applied on the middle of valve cover and the letters. One way to do the letters is to cut a small piece of BMF and apply it before painting. Then after painting you rubout rhe paint until the foil shows through on the top of letters only. Small details can be picked out with toothpicks and paint. Sometimes it is necessary to mask. And if possible it always better to airbrush parts. If an engine bay has allot of black parts they usually vary in the amount of shine from gloss to satin and flats and that needs to be replicated. Try to paint in a way that parts look like they are made out of some material not painted. Some lettering can be done by dry brushing(dip brush in paint then touch to tissue to remove most of the paint) over the top of letters.

Murco
10-14-2002, 08:03 PM
Bump that bare-metal-foil job! To make sure it comes out perfect, smooth and lightly even-out the letter height with a 4-way file before you foil them, works every time!
The CAI is easy - Get some large-diameter solder, cut, bend, and shape it (it's very malliable) and apply c/f or kevlar decal strips - done!
One more solder trick - get various rolls in different sizes (as many as you can find!) and they can be used for many different wires, hardlines, etc. just paint them... My favorite is to roll them with a flat file at a 45 degree angle, bend to shape, and paint them silver. This makes for incredible and dirt cheap braided-steel hoses, just add fittings!

kicker1_solo
10-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by fullbloodchop01

like in the pics above the line are so perfect and even the H and the VTEC are done perfectly how do u people do this? if you read his thread, he explains everything that he does, even the H and VTEC. What he did is painted it silver, and then painted red over it. Then he scraped the red off of the VTEC and H with a little knife. :)

wkma7six
10-15-2002, 03:30 AM
Wow!!!!! Somebody's using my pics as samples:D The intake pipe is not CF!!!! Its Carbon Kevlar!!!! The decals are from Modelers of Japan. The engine was painted Silver first then the red. Read the past posts in the first thread.

And thank you Kicker1solo for clearing that up. I don't know how many times people have asked , but doesn't seem like anyone wants to read the past threads/posts.
-Walter

BTW, that is not a cold air intake pipe. Its part of the Turbo system piping. There's a Turbo, Wastegate, and blow-off valve in the pics.

Jay!
10-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Being trained as a Honda Tech doesn't hurt either, I'd imagine... ;)

Add your comment to this topic!