Bahrain GP 2007

DinanM3_S2
04-14-2007, 04:18 PM
A few interesting storylines from qualifying...

1) Felipe Massa-Ferrari
2) Lewis Hamilton-McLaren
3) Kimi Raikkonen-Ferrari
4) Fernando Alonso-McLaren
5) Nick Heidfeld-BMW Sauber
6) Robert Kubica-BMW Sauber
7) Giancarlo Fisichella-Renault
8) Mark Webber-Red Bull
9) Jarno Trulli-Toyota
10) Nico Rosberg-Williams
11) Alex Wurz-Williams
12) Heikki Kovalainen-Renault
13) Anthony Davidson-Super Aguri
14) Ralf Schumacher-Toyota
15) Rubens Barrichello-Honda
16) Jenson Button-Honda
17) Takuma Sato-Super Aguri
18) Vitantonio Liuzzi-Toro Rosso
19) Scott Speed-Toro Rosso
20) Adrian Sutil-Spyker
21) David Coulthard-Red Bull
22) Christijan Albers-Spyker

The front two rows are no suprise, with the exception of the odd BMW or reliability issue, I expect Ferrari and McLaren to be at the front most of the year. Interesting to see both of the younger drivers in front of their more experienced team mates. Massa stood out as the star of qualifying again. He was almost .4 faster then the next guy in Q2 on light fuel loads and almost .3 faster then Hamilton in Q3. Massa has definitely shown that he is the fastest over one lap, but he needs to pull it all together in the race tomorrow. Hamilton, Kimi, and Alonso were all very close in Q3.

Good performance from the BMWs as well. I really hope both cars are reliable tomorrow, Kubica needs a good race. BMW seems to be stuck in the middle of Ferrari and McLaren at the front and the middle ground behind them. It will be interesting to see what they can do tomorrow. Heidfeld seems to be very competitive with Kubica around.

The middle group is very fascinating to me. 7-10 are all different cars, giving a good idea of the difference in driver's performance. Only .1 second between 7th, 8th, and 9th, meaning there could be some great racing in the middle of the pack. Fisi did as well as he could have hoped to, and Webber looked pretty good as well. Webber seems to be a great qualifying racer for RBR. Williams seems to be offering assurance that they really are on their way back. Heikki is still struggling a bit... poor Flavio. Davidson had an outstanding performance, far out-performing his car, beating both factory Hondas and Ralf's Toyota. Lets wish him reliability as well. Ralfy isn't doing very well, placing 5 spots behind his teammate. I wouldn't be suprised if this was his last year.

Honda seem to be leading the back group. Two great drivers, two terrible cars. The sooner they replace that car the better. Coulthard had gearbox problems, so his 21st place performance should be discarded. Spyker is almost too slow to be in F1. They are a whole second off of the Toro Rossos and 3 off of the Ferraris up front.

My biggest concern for the race is that Hamilton will try too hard to pass Massa at the start and cause some sort of McLaren/Ferrari crash in the 1st corner. I think he is due for a rookie mistake or two. As I mentioned before, reliability from Williams, Aguri, and BMW will be important as well.

Prediction Top 8-
1) Felipe Massa- will pull away at the start and never look back.
2) Kimi Raikkonen- passes Hamilton early, but won't get close enough to Massa to pass.
3) Fernando Alonso- will do everything in his power to beat his teammate.
4) Lewis Hamilton- great rookie, but a mere mortal
5) Heidfeld- faster then Kubica, not as fast as the McLarens
6) Kubica- will live in no-man's land between Heidfeld and Fisichella
7) Fisichella- not as fast as Kubica
8) Jarno Trulli- faster car then Webber, I think he qualified on heavy fuel.

[N0rth]
04-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Kimi's gonna win :D plus the championship

DinanM3_S2
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
And Massa did it!

Pretty good race, probably more interesting then the other two this year. Fair amount of passing, including a few great passes from Coulthard coming from the back row as well as that majestic pass on Alonso by Heidfeld. All the teams that needed reliability got it, and some of the teams that shouldn't have had reliability issues developed some (Honda powered cars).

Massa had in my opinion his first 100% race of the year. His car was broken in Australia and he was broken in Malaysia. Now we have a 3-way tie for 1st and Massa catching up. Hamilton continues to impress, but he has yet to show a whole lot of mid race speed. His hyping is understandable, but he hasn't shown me much other then launch/1st corner speed. He's had nothing less then a flawless car so far. He'll need to pass a Ferrari or two after the first few laps to really impress me. I think Kimi could have gotten 2nd had he not been held up by Alonso on the first stint. Alonso had a bad day, as he did in Germany and America last year, the Spanish GP is next, so I expect to see him on the podium again soon. Heidfeld passing Alonso was as fantastic as it was unexpected. BMW keep edging closer and closer to the front. Kubica even had reliability today, if not the speed of his teammate.

Two drivers of the race- Massa for overcoming all of his earlier problems for the win. Coulthard for taking the light fuel load and passing much of the field from the back, showing some of his old form.

Pass of the race- Heidfeld on Alonso

I was 8/8 on scorers, but I was only right on the finish of Massa and Kubica.

Dyno247365
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
It took me a reallll long time before I could watch this race. It was amazing, the factors that affected the drivers on-track were extreme winds and sand being blown on the track. At one point there was oil on the track, and even pieces of CF.

I don't know if this was exaggerated but braking on straights, these cars go through 5 Gs?? I was really rooting for David Coulthard half the race but his car broke. Red bull really needs some better cars. So do Honda. wow do they need better cars. Thankfully there's a break before the next race. Hopefully the teams that are trying to become competitive will get something done.

DinanM3_S2
04-24-2007, 02:37 PM
It took me a reallll long time before I could watch this race. It was amazing, the factors that affected the drivers on-track were extreme winds and sand being blown on the track. At one point there was oil on the track, and even pieces of CF.

I don't know if this was exaggerated but braking on straights, these cars go through 5 Gs?? I was really rooting for David Coulthard half the race but his car broke. Red bull really needs some better cars. So do Honda. wow do they need better cars. Thankfully there's a break before the next race. Hopefully the teams that are trying to become competitive will get something done.

I wouldn't say that it was an AMAZING race, but it was pretty decent.

Yes, the cars go through 5g braking. F1 cars are famous for their braking ability, even more so then their acceleration. There is a video of Jeff Gordon driving a F1 car (Williams-BMW I think) and Montoya driving a Nascar car. You can really see the power of the F1 car under breaking when Gordon's neck/head is being pushed forward.

I believe Red Bull is coming out with a new transmission for Spain and I think Honda is supposed to have a whole new car for Monaco.

drunken monkey
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I think Honda is supposed to have a whole new car for Monaco.

like that's really going to help them....
i had hopes that maybe they'd at lest be topping the middle of the board but alas, it seems that the other teams have moved on and Honda are still where they were at the end of last year.
Those toyota's are looking pretty stong and consistant with the Williams cars within touching distance. Things can only get better for them it seems.

DinanM3_S2
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
like that's really going to help them....
i had hopes that maybe they'd at lest be topping the middle of the board but alas, it seems that the other teams have moved on and Honda are still where they were at the end of last year.
Those toyota's are looking pretty stong and consistant with the Williams cars within touching distance. Things can only get better for them it seems.

Actually most people are saying that Honda has moved backwards. Super Aguri has their 06' chassis, and they seem to be doing much better then the factory Hondas. They seem to have completely botched this 07' car.

Honda was looking absolutely fantastic at the end of last year. Button was the only driver that wasn't in a Ferrari or a Renault to win a race, which I view as one of the biggest accomplishments of the year, especially given that the McLaren should have been faster then the Honda. Button was also the top scorer out of the last 6 races of the year, beating out Schumacher and Alonso. Honda has two great drivers in Rubens and Button, but the rest of the team and engineers just don't seem up to their quality. Honda and Renault seem to have lost the most between 06' and 07', while BMW and Williams seem to be the big gainers.

drunken monkey
04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
y'see, i wouldn't say that Honda were fantastic at the end of the season, sure they were doing better and committing fewer errors and having better luck and that win was much needed but it is nowhere as good as we had all hoped.

As it stands, I think it is that the others have sorted their problems and moved on because I don't see anything wrong with what's going on at Honda right now; they're just not up to scratch compared to the rest. Put it this way, Button and Barrichello are still in the middle of the table (more or less).
Considering that Button is supposed to be the "A" driver, Barrichello is outperforming him, which might indicate an unhappy Button.
Maybe there's the element thats going backwards....
but I know, it's only race 4 coming up and last time, it was unfortunate that Taku chose then to say hello to his old team-mate.

The thing I have always been saying was that Anthony Davidson was wasted as a test driver. Perhaps his performance in a supposed (alledged) inferior car says something; if not about the car (and hence honda's) then about his ability.

Of course, my opinion could all be biased towards the honda engineers because of my memories of RA166/167 and RA109 and RA121/122 powered cars.

in all honesty, I really want Honda to do well but now, they're disappointing me...
what I need, is a little green and yellow badge to appear on an F1 grid sometime in the future to make me happy again.

DinanM3_S2
04-26-2007, 12:11 AM
y'see, i wouldn't say that Honda were fantastic at the end of the season, sure they were doing better and committing fewer errors and having better luck and that win was much needed but it is nowhere as good as we had all hoped.

As it stands, I think it is that the others have sorted their problems and moved on because I don't see anything wrong with what's going on at Honda right now; they're just not up to scratch compared to the rest. Put it this way, Button and Barrichello are still in the middle of the table (more or less).
Considering that Button is supposed to be the "A" driver, Barrichello is outperforming him, which might indicate an unhappy Button.
Maybe there's the element thats going backwards....
but I know, it's only race 4 coming up and last time, it was unfortunate that Taku chose then to say hello to his old team-mate.

The thing I have always been saying was that Anthony Davidson was wasted as a test driver. Perhaps his performance in a supposed (alledged) inferior car says something; if not about the car (and hence honda's) then about his ability.

Of course, my opinion could all be biased towards the honda engineers because of my memories of RA166/167 and RA109 and RA121/122 powered cars.

in all honesty, I really want Honda to do well but now, they're disappointing me...
what I need, is a little green and yellow badge to appear on an F1 grid sometime in the future to make me happy again.

I really don't agree with you. I really don't think Button is the problem, I think the problem is with the car and the switch to Bridgestones. Button is pretty frustrated, but he is frustrated with the car, as is Rubens. Put just about anyone in that car, be it Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Kimi, Fisico, or even Schumacher and I doubt that they would be getting much better results.

Even the Honda team thinks the car is a complete failure. Why else would they be trashing the car and starting from scratch part way through the season?

Add your comment to this topic!