Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DIY power steering system flush !@#$

rodeo02
04-14-2007, 03:08 PM
:banghead: Usually I'm a suction gun-out and refill kind of guy. I've done this for years. Today I decided to try a more 'thorough' method on my 2001 Windstar; remove the return hose to the PS fluid reservoir, attach a piece of tubing to the hose allowing me to extend the discharge into an empty gallon jug. I got that all setup, raised the front end off the ground and gave the missus instructions; start the van, slowly move the steering wheel lock to lock, when I say STOP, shut'er down. My plan was to pour fresh Valvoline Maxlife ATF in, while the nasty stuff pumps out. Sounds good right? So here we go. My better half fires'er up.... Vroom.... Pfffftt!!! My homemade hose 'extension' blows out of the return line, the return line starts doing the crazy-daisy blasting hot, smelly, nasty ATF all over the place I yell STOP!!! !@#$% She shuts her down, but that 3-5 seconds was all it took to make a horrific mess. About a quart of nasty ATF all over the engine compartment and garage. It looked like an oil explosion. Note to self; Self? Stick with the suck out and refill. :nono: That will teach me to get all fancy.

Joel

96wWindstar180K
04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
rodeo02
LOL :grinno: I can just imagine the mess. It sounds like a great idea. If you had put a hose clamp on the end and had a third hand it may have worked. Live and learn.

rodeo02
04-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Hehehe.. yeah.. I think it was going to the more restrictive section of tubing that did me in (my tubing shoved into the factory hose). I slid the factory pinch clamp over my deal, but w/out a flare or a barb, apparantly it didn't stand a chance! :banghead: BTW, "Fantastic" spray cleaner works wonders cleaning out an oily engine bay. My serp belt and accessories were completely coated in ATF. :uhoh: A spray down with Fantasic and a hose-out and she's as clean as a whistle! Smells real purdy too!

Joel

Doug360
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
You gave me a good laugh; I've done the same thing.

lapin_windstar
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
hey, what kind of suction pump do you use? I did the power steering flush before but I don't know if I can be bothered to do it again, and I'd be interested in doing it the suction way, and twice as often. (Transmission fluid too, for that matter).

rodeo02
04-20-2007, 07:51 PM
hey, what kind of suction pump do you use? I did the power steering flush before but I don't know if I can be bothered to do it again, and I'd be interested in doing it the suction way, and twice as often. (Transmission fluid too, for that matter).

This is the one I use for reservoir type suction outs: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95468
For dipstick or long reach suck outs, I use this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3878 You will have a tired hand/arm with the little hand pump. I'm tempted to buy a vac model, or maybe this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45403

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!