Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Some Questions

swedish
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
So I expect to be looking for a Wrangler in the near future, but I want a little more info still. I'll be after an '00-'06, the later the better, but I want the 4.0 I6, and I don't know when Jeep dropped that motor. Also, I was curious if Jeep ever played to the "driving a Tahoe like a sports car" crowd and put independent (front) suspension on the Wrangler, and if so, when did that begin? Long story short, I'm going for a 4x4, with the I6, and plan to add a 4-5 inch lift, 35" rubber, and all the little stuff to accompany. And one last one: Has anyone had any experience with a Ken Belle supercharged 4.0?

swedish
04-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Oops, sorry for the double post. Also, I forgot to ask when, if ever, the Wrangler came with all disc brakes?

Kuhn
04-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow, a wrangler with independent suspension would be kind of cool! lol, but it almost defeats the purpose of the wrangler... Simplicity yields perfection! It's our job to make them complicated. :lol:
Also, I have an '02 Wrangler X with the 4.0L and a 5spd. If you are thinking about forced induction, get a manual so you can switch out the clutch... Otherwise, an automatic is better since body lifts are much cheaper. As for the supercharger... Expect mpg to be in the single digits, but a decent increase in low end torque. Personally, I would turbo... read my most recent thread. (You can turn the boost up and down at the flip of a switch... if you use a turboXS Dual Boost Switch.) The turbo might end up being a little cheaper in parts, too.
Also, the stock 3.73 gears can be switched to 4.11 or even 4.88... you will notice that! Just be careful... If you get anything but the Rubicon (which has the dana 44 axles) 35's may be too much, especially with a gear change, or worse, lockers. But there is also the opportunity to change out axles...
Drive it stock, or spend $40k and still want more! Just message me with any questions. I think I went through a similar path that you're facing.

Add your comment to this topic!