wheel/brakes locking up

buickcentury01
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I have a Buick Century 2001. Sometimes when in reverse it feels like the wheel is locking up or that the ER brake is on. The car is fine in drive. This does not happen all of the time. Any suggestions??

maxwedge
04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Welcome to AF. Pull the drums an look for excessive brake dust or some binding in the brake or parking brake mechanism.

doberman_52
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
How do you pull a drum off if its really rusted? I haven't been able to pull my drums off and would like to check for brake dust and stuff, 'cause I have a pull in my brakes sometimes.

maxwedge
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Well normally the pull is not from the rear, you will have to pry, beat and coax the drums off. If they are that rusted or worn that they have a ridge, get them machined when off.

90BuickSlab
04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
i seem to have a simliar problem. its almost like the rear brakes have to be re-adjusted everytime i drive the car. after going in reverse or going fast enough they will adjust and not lock up. i pulled off my drums and didnt notice any excessive brake dust or binding...maybe adjusting the parking brake will fix it???

90BuickSlab
06-06-2007, 06:40 PM
i seem to have a simliar problem. its almost like the rear brakes have to be re-adjusted everytime i drive the car. after going in reverse or going fast enough they will adjust and not lock up. i pulled off my drums and didnt notice any excessive brake dust or binding...maybe adjusting the parking brake will fix it???

i am still having this problem.i have dismantled the rear brakes a few times and cant find any problems, the shoes, springs, and drums are 8 months old and the cylinders are new. i have bled the system a few times recently also. the only thing i can think of is a weak master cylinder? any info will be appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!