Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 heating/cooling problem

dp1947
04-13-2007, 05:13 AM
the '02 Venture (3.6, v6). The Temp gauge seems to be going to 3/4 mark ( close to the red zone) before the cooling fans start working. I have replaced the T-stat & the temp sensor. Still the same problem.. can someone help. Thanks

cdru
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
The fans only kick on at around 225 degrees IIRC. On my van's (98 model) temp gauge, it looks like it's going too high. Normal operating temp is right around 195 and even slower city driving is usually enough air flow to keep it around 195. If you have access to a scan tool that can give you real-time data, check to see what temp the coolant is running when the fans kick on. If you don't, most local repair shops can probably do this test as well.

GregA
04-13-2007, 06:21 PM
the '02 Venture (3.6, v6). The Temp gauge seems to be going to 3/4 mark ( close to the red zone) before the cooling fans start working. I have replaced the T-stat & the temp sensor. Still the same problem.. can someone help. ThanksWelcome to the forum!

cdru is right, fans usually kick on (at LOW speed) at about 220. Above 230 the fans should run on high. It could be that the LOW setting is not working. BOTH fans should be running at each setting (low & high).

Check out the top few links on this page (http://www.my-chevy-venture.com/other-information.html) and then go out and TEST your system to see if it is working correctly. Letting it run for a while (10-15 minutes) should be enough to get the fans to run.

There are a couple of fuses and 3 relays involved that might be giving this problem.

Take Care,

Add your comment to this topic!