Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 chevey blazer (bravada) abs issues

slyjab
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Please help!!!!!

I have a 1996 chevy blazer with brake issues. here's my problem:

the brakes work fine in fair weather, but during ice, snow, and rain i apply the brakes there is a chatter that feels like it is at the end of the brake pedal. a clicking n oise accompanies this chatter and the vechicle slides rather than stopping. it tends to be a little frightning especially when in traffic. it tends to happen worse the harder and more suddenly i apply the brake... someone please help. ty in advance...

MT-2500
04-12-2007, 03:26 PM
When it is slick slow up and go easy on the brake pedal is the best solution.
Does it only do it on wet or slick payment?
How does it stop on dry payment?
Any ABS brake lights on?
ABS brakes if working right will keep one or two or 3 wheels wheel from sliding.
But if it is real slick they will not keep all four wheels or the truck from sliding If You try a fast stop on ice you will slide.
MT

slyjab
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
it dosen't matter whether i am going fast or slow. as soon as the antilock catches it acts like it won't let go. the truck starts to slide and pumping does nothing to correct it. it is only on slick pavement when it does it. and what concerns me the most is the chatter and clicking i get along with it.no abs lights come on at any time. i don't want to just baby it i would like to fix it without coslty mechanics $$is a prob.. just need a little guidance and i'll book it fro there ....any ideas on what it could be?????

Chris Stewart
04-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds like the ABS is being activated...buzzing & pulses at the brake pedal and little motor sounds coming from under the dash/hood areas. Did you notice the car kept going straight as it slowed down?
Cruising slow and looking cool in a big empty iced over parking lot, suddenly & firmly hit the brakes and hold them firm until the car stops. Take notice how it keeps straight while slowing down. Want to stop quicker? Hit and hold the brakes even harder.
Whatcha think?

MT-2500
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
it dosen't matter whether i am going fast or slow. as soon as the antilock catches it acts like it won't let go. the truck starts to slide and pumping does nothing to correct it. it is only on slick pavement when it does it. and what concerns me the most is the chatter and clicking i get along with it.no abs lights come on at any time. i don't want to just baby it i would like to fix it without coslty mechanics $$is a prob.. just need a little guidance and i'll book it fro there ....any ideas on what it could be?????

Sounds like normal ABS braking operation to me.:grinyes:
But to be on the safe side get a good repair shop to check it out.
Good luck MT

1996LTOwner
04-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Check to see if the vehicle has all of the recalls done on it. The '96s fell under a big recall for the ABS system.

MT-2500
04-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Check to see if the vehicle has all of the recalls done on it. The '96s fell under a bill recall for the ABS system.

Was it a actual recall from ford?
Or the two NHTSA deals?
For more information on call NHTSA at 800-424-9393
There recall no. 991006000 and 99V193000
The only thing I found from ford is a tsb 99046[B] a special service deal.:grinyes:

But the symptoms on the posters problem doe not match the NHTSA recall or ford tsb.
The NHTSA recall and ford tsb Symptoms are for certain ones extended stopping distance on a ABS brake stop that {{sometimes may }}occur under certain conditions.:grinyes:

The poster should take the truck to the dealer and have it checked for tsb
99046[B].
Also Have the dealer run the vin no and see if the service has already been performed.
MT

1996LTOwner
04-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Ford? It's a Chevy. I took it to a chevy dealership to have it done. The issue had something to do with the system cycling even after it had done it's self test and people where not able to stop before entering an intersection.

MT-2500
04-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Ford? It's a Chevy. I took it to a chevy dealership to have it done. The issue had something to do with the system cycling even after it had done it's self test and people where not able to stop before entering an intersection.

Well sorry about that I had Ford on the brain.:grinyes:
What recall no or recall was it? Or just a TSB? Or just a NHTSA deal?
I can not find any chev recalls on it? Just the special service deal.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!