Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Unable To Find 89 Ignition Key Lock

LuminaPat
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Someone tried to steal my car and broke the ignition switch and I can't seem to find a replacement for my year. I've found 1990-96 and then it jumps to 1990. Does anyone know if I can use the 90's part? Also, would I need other parts? It appears the only damage was the outer plastic ring was broken and the key hole was damaged by a screwdriver probably.

jsgold
04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
The actual switch is in the steering column, has a rod that runs to it from the igntion lock cylinder, which is what you must replace. I have not replaced one on our Corsica but did recently on my Blazer. I had to get a tool to remove the steering wheel and another one for the assembly under the wheel, and I would bet you will need to as well. You might be able to borrow these items from a parts store such as Advance, but not sure. I would buy the switch from a dealer as that is the best way to get the right one. Advance shows multiple units for your car as they did my truck and even at other places such as NAPA they had more than one available. Normally I would not suggest this but on some parts trhe dealer is the best place to go. Should not be expensive either. Might pick up a Haynes manual to assist you on this, just in case.

LuminaPat
04-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Advance shows multiple units for your car.....

DOH!!! I didn't bother to look at my local stores once I struck out on with the internet ones. Thanx for the tips.

Add your comment to this topic!