ok why wont these rims fit

95firebird
04-11-2007, 06:42 PM
i got them off a 99 trans am they worked fine on his watched him take them off. i have a 95 the fronts go on perfect but not the backs why is this

92zcamaroperson
04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
how wide are the back wheels? 11" wide wheels require some encouragment on the fenders part

92zcamaroperson
04-11-2007, 07:27 PM
so i understand anyways

goldz28
04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
You might need a BFH to take care of the problem

95firebird
04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
You might need a BFH to take care of the problem

what is that and where and how much are they

goldz28
04-11-2007, 07:49 PM
BFH is a Big F%^#%*& Hammer

95firebird
04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
BFH is a Big F%^#%*& Hammer

hahaha lmfao well i have one of those lol but some one told me that i can grined the rims center hole but will that make so they wont fit on a new trans am cuz i plan on getting a 98+ when i turn 18 and want to put thoses rims on it

goldz28
04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
What is causing the hold up?

95firebird
04-11-2007, 08:03 PM
What is causing the hold up?

when i put the on the back they are not going on right i didnt notice and i drove ithe car and the drum is all lose and it moves and makes noise and the car drives funny the fronts work fine i put the old rims back on the car drums are not lose and works just fine

92zcamaroperson
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
where is the wheel hitting. thats what you need to find out. all wheels on all of the 93 to 2002 f-bodies should interchange without any problem. Dont grind the center...i dont see how that would even help

poormillionaire2
04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
What are the specs of the wheels and tires you are trying to mount? Are they the stock wheels or some sort of aftermarket that you got off the newer f-body? They should all fit though.

95firebird
04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
What are the specs of the wheels and tires you are trying to mount? Are they the stock wheels or some sort of aftermarket that you got off the newer f-body? They should all fit though.

no they are stock 5 spoke chrome rims i called pontiac and they said that the wheel studs were longer on a 98-02 and i would need to replace thos inorder to get the wheels to fit right what do yall think about that

giddyup50
04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
no they are stock 5 spoke chrome rims i called pontiac and they said that the wheel studs were longer on a 98-02 and i would need to replace thos inorder to get the wheels to fit right what do yall think about that

It's obvious, I'm no bird/maro expert. But what Pontiac says makes sense. When you have the new wheels on are the same amount of threads on the studs sticking out as when you have the old wheels on? I would start there before getting a Big F#$%^&* Hammer or grinding on the wheel. Do some more investigation before you do something you'll be sorry for. I would look into the shorter/longer stud situation first.

goldz28
04-12-2007, 12:38 AM
If your not rubbing on the inner wheel well no need to modify it. Its got to be something easy to fix. With out seeing it its hard to see exactly whats going on.

blindeyed
04-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Best way to explain this, is for you to visually compare your current rims with the new ones you got. The newer 97+ rims have a hub centering ring around the center opening, which the 93-96's don't. all you have to do is get a dremel and smooth down the hub ring so that it will slide on.

Here's some pictures, the lighting sucks, so try to bare with me..

>> 93 - 96 style, notice how the hub opening is very smooth

http://www.blindeyed.com/IMG_0251.JPG

>> 97-02 style, see how there appears to be a little lip in the opening. That is what needs to be ground down. Works best if you use a dremel.

http://www.blindeyed.com/IMG_0252.JPG

EDIT: And as for fitting on a newer 97-02 after grinding the center.. Yes, they will still fit perfectly fine with no problems.

95firebird
04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Best way to explain this, is for you to visually compare your current rims with the new ones you got. The newer 97+ rims have a hub centering ring around the center opening, which the 93-96's don't. all you have to do is get a dremel and smooth down the hub ring so that it will slide on.

Here's some pictures, the lighting sucks, so try to bare with me..

>> 93 - 96 style, notice how the hub opening is very smooth

http://www.blindeyed.com/IMG_0251.JPG

>> 97-02 style, see how there appears to be a little lip in the opening. That is what needs to be ground down. Works best if you use a dremel.

http://www.blindeyed.com/IMG_0252.JPG

EDIT: And as for fitting on a newer 97-02 after grinding the center.. Yes, they will still fit perfectly fine with no problems.

thanks blindxeyed u always seem to be very helpful when i post somthing . i just took the car and the rims down to a tire shop by my house and he just put longer wheel studs in like pontiac said they fit on there just fine now but is that incorrect? should i take them off and do what you said ?

blindeyed
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
thanks blindxeyed u always seem to be very helpful when i post somthing . i just took the car and the rims down to a tire shop by my house and he just put longer wheel studs in like pontiac said they fit on there just fine now but is that incorrect? should i take them off and do what you said ?

Only unless the shop already did as I explained should be done. If not, then I'd imagine that your rim isn't securely held on as it isn't possible for it to fit over the rear hub. I'd just suggest you take both the rear wheel's off and make sure it's going all the way on the back hub, if it is, then the shop you took it to probably already corrected it for you. If it's still acting like it's not fitting then you should definitely shave down the hub ring. Always glad to help out!

swennc
04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
the problem you are having is because you are trying to put a set of wheels from a car with disc brakes , you have drums, right??

blindeyed
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
the problem you are having is because you are trying to put a set of wheels from a car with disc brakes , you have drums, right??

Close.. but as I already explained, the problem is due to that 93-96 models had larger rear hubs than the 97-02 models.

swennc
04-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I had the same problem. I put a set of wheels on my '95 from a '99 Z and like you said the hubs on the rear axle shaft are smalller on the newer ones. So you can either grind out the center of the wheel as the hubs are 'lugcentric', or you can change out the axle shafts and not do any grinding! Just another option.

92zcamaroperson
04-18-2007, 12:02 AM
or find different wheels....just a thought

Add your comment to this topic!