Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is MECP a waste of time?

NocturnalCreations
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Had my certification for 3 years now and have yet to meet someone that knows what it is. None of my customers know and the other install shops around me hardly know. Other than the massive amount of knowledge I got from studying for the test, it hasn't helped my business. People bring me more cars for engine problems than anything. I do more brakes, tune-ups and head gaskets than sound systems. I thought about not doing the mechanic work anymore but I cant help it, the money is too good. Now im thinking about getting my ASC on top of my MECP. Maybe I have ADHD or something.:banghead:

Just wondering if im the only one with this concern.

PaulD
04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
well, an MECP cert is kind of like a degree ... just because you have an engineering degree does NOT mean you know how to engineer. It's a good thing for a shop to do sometimes, but actually knowing about installing is far more important.

pimprolla112
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Alot of these car audio shops dont require it, so alot of people dont know what it is. Id rather have someone with hundreds of hours of install time, than someone who just has a certificate. Ive met some SAE mechanics who didnt know what a banjo bolt was, and a few that had never used a torque wrench. ANd im not kidding. Im going to try to get my bronze this summer, and hopefully try for the silver within the next 2 years. Ive done installs using nothing but a philips head and an adjustable wrench, in my driveway.

Add your comment to this topic!