Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 EF civic dirt track help?!!?

kingalbrect79
04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
First off, here is what I have, and have aquired in the last few weeks.

1. I have purchased a 91 Civic sedan with a d15b2 that has had the cam/head smoked, junked by a former street racer....(stupid kids)

2. I purchased a complete 1992 integra with a Non-Vtec b18a1 w/5 speed trans--hit in right rear, so rear suspension on the pass rear is shot.

3. I have 1 spare complete Non-Vtec b18a1 integra motor w/5 speed trans for spare.

Here is the plan:

I am looking to get into dirt track racing at my local circle track. All these fools here in michigan run neons, cavaliers, grand ams, etc. I haven't seen a single honda touch anything but street racing, and the local drag strip. So, non-vtec motors may be harder to find, but still available. I want to swap the b18a1 into my 91 sedan for running on the dirt track to show these fools exactly what a honda can do.

Here is what I need to accomplish:

I need to swap this motor into the car with as little out of pocket as possible. I have the 92 in running condition, and the other motor as a spare, however, I specifically stayed away from the VTEC because on the dirt track, it is not necessary, it is actually detrimental. I don't need gas mileage, nor do I need all the excess valve-train weight.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there anyway possible whatsoever to use a combination of motor mounts from the civic and the integra to do the swap without buying a kit?--If not, can someone get me a price for a set of motor mounts that will do the swap properly? (again--I'm trying to save as much money for parts as possible)

**I will modify the linkage and re-weld it to fit with our mig welder**

2. Is there any swap that can be done from any honda civic, integra, prelude, rsx, crv to where I can convert to a 5 lug rim? Hopefully bolt on, rather than modifying it, they have strict rules on that. I am allowed to run up to a 10" tire, and I want to use as wide a tire as possible. Stock steel rims will be used from whatever appropriate junk yard car I can find them on.

3. Can someone provide me with pictures from a 91 civic sedan roll cage? preferrably one from rally racing? I have had nothing but trouble finding good pics for reference.

4. Is it possible to completely remove the wiring harness from the civic and just swap the entire harness from the integra? I would think so, considering it won't have a dash, or seats, lights, etc. All unneccesary items will be eliminated.

5. Can someone give me the technical wiring diagram/colors for the 92 integra? I need to eliminate as many of the wires as possible from the car. Lights, etc. I am an auto electrician, so you can be as technical as you like.

6. Cams--I need to know what cams I can/should run to get the best power between 3,000-9,800 rpm. I am considering putting larger rods in it to beef up the bottom end, but will leave most of it stock, it of course will be running open header, so a cat is not necessary. This is the biggest question for me, as I don't need the vtec, I will only have a 5 gal. fuel cell, so I need to know what race cams to use for this application. Even an OEM replacement from another model (maybe newer) would be an option. I would prefer to stay as low budget as possible, but if not, this will be my biggest expense.

7. I can't think of my last question right now, I forgot it, so I will post it as a reply here later.

Thank you all in advance.

kingalbrect79
04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I remember my last question now:

I have an extra short block motor b18b1 integra motor from a 94 integra that has had a gsr Vtec head put on it.

I really don't need the head, it's missing all external parts, cams, distributor, water pump, etc....

What I need to know is, will the complete bottom end b18b1 match up with all the parts and swap with the two b18a1's that I have? Meaning, if I blow a piston out the side of both motors, can I take the head from one of my b18a1's and put it on the block of the b18b1 and still use the same tranny, external parts, etc.? Or are the blocks of two different gens and incompatable?

I would rather not do any machining to fit.

Thanks again in advance...

kingalbrect79
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I have the car now, and am in the process of stripping it down for a cage. Can someone give me some info here?

turtlecrxsi
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
You will need mounts... go with ebay or whatever your budget can afford

b18a1 and b18b1 blocks and heads are virtually all the same and are interchangeable... only difference is obd sensors and camshafts I believe.

The Integra Type-R had 5 lugs in later models (not sure which ones) and there is a conversion (probably expensive).

Good luck and if you have dirt track prep questions ask Tony. He's a moderator and races a 92 civic coupe on a dirt track.

Add your comment to this topic!