Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Buick Park Avenue Twilight Sentinel

jsciarri84
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Hello people. I have just recently purchased an '89 buick park avenue with only 90k miles for only $600. The car is fully loaded with every option except the moonroof and the lumbar power seats. When I got the car, some things were not working correctly, and was going to ask you guys if you had any ideas for me. Next, my car has the twilight sentinel option, and only works whenever it wants to. If it gets dark, the lights will go on automatically but go off in about 2 minutes when the car is on. Also, when the lights first turn on, if I shine a light on the sensor, they shut off but do not go on when i shut the light off onto the sensor, or darkening the sensor. Also, the delay feature does not work, in other words the lights do not stay on when i shut the key off, instead they shut off right away without the delay. I changed that white box module under the dash and replaced it with a '89 Cadillac Deville module, but got the same results. If you have any ideas let me know. And of course a factory wiring diagram would be fantastic. Thanks again.

Mag00
04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
well, I would suggest turning it off and turning your lights on manully.
if your PA is the same as mine, then you can just turn your little lever thing all the way to the left, and then you can use the button next to it that says "lights" to turn on the headlamps. :)

TopherS
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I not familiar with all of the components for the Park Avenue's Twilight Sentinel. However, when I worked on the "AutoLamp" system (Ford's version) on a Taurus I once owned, there were three components (in addition to the manual light switch), a sensor on the dash, a module and a switch. I would suspect a similar set-up on the Park Avenue.

The switch tells the module whether the system is turned on or off, how long to leave the lights on after the car is shut off and I also believe that the sensor sends it's info via the switch to the module (it did in the Taurus, anyhow). So it sounds very possible that your switch is bad. I would recommend that you replace the Twilight Sentinel switch (and if I remember correctly, the Oldsmobile 98 of the same era used the same switch). While you're there at the salvage yard, get a replacement sensor (on the dash top), just in case...

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Add your comment to this topic!