Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

someone help please!!!!!

soundjunki
04-10-2007, 03:30 AM
I have an 1989 S10 blazer 4x4 4.3L. The other day I found tranny fluid in the four wheel drive vacuum ball, I dont know the proper name for this part. Is this a big problem? and how can I fix this problem? Thank you.:banghead:

MT-2500
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Welcome to AF.
If not a problem now it will be.
If oil gets in the vacuum actuator it will ruin it. Also soften up vacuum hoses.
Clean and repair vacuum lines and actuator and.
Check the vacuum switch on the transfer case ,it may be sucking oil out of transfer case.
Good Luck.
MT

vtmecheng
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
That may not be a problem. The transfer case is filled with automatic trany fluid and the vacuum actuator switch screws into the transfer case so it can be pushed in when the 4x4 is engaged. The ball that gets pushed in should not let vacuum be seen in the transfer case. Take the three lines off of this switch and stick a q-tip into them, if it is too big just take the cotton off, to see if any red oil is inside.

soundjunki
04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Thank you both for the info. This helps me a great deal!!! Now I know what to check. Thank you Once again for the info.:grinyes:

soundjunki
04-11-2007, 02:43 AM
One other question. After I pull the three lines off and check it with a q-tip and find tranny fluid. What part do I need to replace if there is a problem?

vtmecheng
04-11-2007, 08:06 AM
If you found red trany fluid in the vacuum hoses I would probably replace the vacuum switch. These are known to fail so it wouldn't be bad to replace anyway. Mine began to stick one day so the front differential was always engaged, not good.

JaVeRo
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
The part should look like this:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaVeRo/100_0131-1.jpg
It screws in on top of the transfer case above the front driveshaft. Make sure you get a new o-ring when you buy the part.
The part numbers I have listed apply to a 2001 S10 and may or may not apply to yours.

James

blazee
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
This problem usually occurs when the seal between the transmission and the transfer case fails. When the seal fails the transfer case over fills with tranny fluid which eventually leaks through the switch. Before replacing the switch, you should check to see if the transfer case is overfilled; if it is, the seal will need to be fixed or the new switch will eventually leak too.

vtmecheng
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
blazee: How would you know if the seal is bad when the transfer case is filled with ATF?

blazee
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
blazee: How would you know if the seal is bad when the transfer case is filled with ATF?

Because it will be overfilled. Normally the level should be even with the bottom of the fill hole, when the seal is bad the level will be well above that and tranny fluid will come pouring out when the fill plug is removed.

soundjunki
04-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Thank you all very much for the info. This helps me alot. I thank you for your time.

vtmecheng
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
got ya blazee, thanx

Add your comment to this topic!