1987 toyota 4runner power windows

robert_j_16
04-10-2007, 03:43 AM
I have been trying to fix the power windows on my truck for a long time now. Neither of them are getting power. I checked all of the fuses in the cab and under the hood, I think it's some kind of circuit problem. I also checked the main fuse for the power windows. Now, I can run a wire from the batter and feed power directly to the windows, the driver side window works just fine, and the passenger side window gets power, but it isn't being grounded like it should. So my problem is this, I need to find out why their not getting power, and why the passenger side window also isn't getting grounded like it should. I think we have traced it to the power window relay, we found a diagram that (should) show where it's at, but it's not where they say it is. So if you have any info, any wiring diagrams or anything, please tell me where I can find the power window relay, or any other problems it might be. Thank you very much

fourwd1
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Have you looked at the FSM ?

If not, check the 1st thread on the main page for a link to FSMs.

robert_j_16
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm sorry, I've heard allot of terms but I haven't heard FSM, I tried to find the thread with FSMs but I couldn't, If you explain it in a little more detail I'll be sure I check them tonight, Thank you for helping.

robert_j_16
04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Actually, if FSM means (factory service manuel) I have looked at it, mine doesn't have anything really useful, no schematics or anything, just the basics. I did find a schematic in another book, but where it said the power window relay should be wasn't where it actually was, and I have yet to find it, and I still have to find out why their not getting power, thanks. :)

fourwd1
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
H'mm, the schematics I have don't show a relay for the front windows, just the power locks.

robert_j_16
04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey, I've looked at the schematics in a chiltons guide and they don't tell me as much as a motors manuel, their allot better. But I haven't been able to get my hands on a motors manuel. Or you were looking at a shematic for a lower class model with no power windows or something. Thanks for the help. :)

4runnerSr5
09-09-2008, 07:51 PM
I have the same problem but havent been able to figure out the short I have checked the continuity but nothin.

fourwd1
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I found a schematic for an 85. It shows a relay (power main relay) for the power windows. There is also a fuse for the power windows located above the drivers kick panel fuse box (it's large and yellow IIRC, not a blade type fuse).

But if the windows are partially working it's not the relay or the fuse, but more likely a switch or wiring.

Add your comment to this topic!