Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 PA Squeaky dash

LeBuick
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I have a 2002 PA and wow is the dashboard starting to squeak at the instrument cluster. I took it to the dealer who indicated it was an irritating noise but he implied it wasn't common for these cars. He then said for $104 per/hr he would have a tech try and solve the problem.

Any thougt on how to stop this squeak? I took a McD's receipt and folded it a few times and jammed it between the cluster and the trim which reduced the sound but didn't totally eliminate it. i need it to stop!!!

kaspr
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
maybe just take things apart and try to stuff some foam wherever you can as you put it all back together.

LeBuick
04-09-2007, 06:13 PM
maybe just take things apart and try to stuff some foam wherever you can as you put it all back together.

Any idea's how it comes apart? I assume there will be screws at the bottom, does the trim just pull off once you remove the bottom screws are are their some that are hidden?

kaspr
04-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I've never worked on that model year, but often there are certain trim pieces that pull right off, which makes screws underneath accessible.

Mag00
04-10-2007, 12:05 AM
anyone have an idea of glue to use to put it back on?

im having the same problems... its very annoying, lol.

TopherS
04-10-2007, 04:55 PM
The wood trim across the dash will pull straight off. There are clips holding it on. They can be a little delicate, so be careful, but they're not that hard to remove. If I remember correctly, you can pull the fascia straight off from there. Check for screws to be sure, first. You will be able to access some other screws from there. I've only replaced the radio in my car. I, too, have a dash squeak that is intermittent...seems to be based on ambient temps...but it doesn't stay long enough for me to find it. Let us know what you find. Hope this helps. :cheers:

LeBuick
04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I has a piece of weather stripping laying around so I cut little pieces and with a screw driver jammed it between the trim and the cluster. That is working for now but I wonder how long. I may try and take the dash apart of I get time one weekend.

bigsky
04-13-2007, 11:14 PM
The wood trim across the dash will pull straight off. There are clips holding it on. They can be a little delicate, so be careful, but they're not that hard to remove. If I remember correctly, you can pull the fascia straight off from there. Check for screws to be sure, first. You will be able to access some other screws from there. I've only replaced the radio in my car. I, too, have a dash squeak that is intermittent...seems to be based on ambient temps...but it doesn't stay long enough for me to find it. Let us know what you find. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Another me too with a 1999 with HUD (is this a common denominator?).
Comes and goes with temperature changes. Seems to me to come from around the HUD unit and sounds like styrafoam?? Took the dash apart on a 1997 (to replace radio) and there was a screw on the left side of the dash that is accessed by first pulling out the left side duct piece. Seems there was another screw or two, but first step as above is pulling/lifting the wood trim. I want to work on this soon but other things on the "to do" list have higher priority right now.

TopherS
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I have the Heads Up Display, too, but I can't quite say that the squeaks are coming from there directly. In my mind, it almost seems that it's coming from the left-hand dash vent, but it's been so long since we've had warm enough weather that I can't remember exactly how the squeak resonates. We had a 70-something-degree day a couple weeks ago (that was Spring, it was great, back to Winter rain for us, as usual :lol: ), but of course, that day, my car was getting a transmission mount replaced at the dealer, so I had the wife's car. I'll have to wait until about June...hopefully, we'll have more 70-degree weather by then :grinyes:, then I'll be able to tell you more. The fact that it appears that the HUD may have something to do with this gives me a new angle to look at it from.

Add your comment to this topic!