Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak

RJPolds
04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

I am curious as to, what is the most common problem when a oil leak is found at the rear of the engine. I have an oil leak that is leaking down between the engine and tranny, only when running. Its an 97, with 97000 miles on it. The oil doesn't seem to be mixed with anything.

Thanks

maxwedge
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Welcome to AF. rear main seal for one, an oil galley plug at he back of the block, oil leaks fom some area above and it runs down the block and fools you, clean everything off and look at the head gasket, intake and so on then work your way down.

RJPolds
04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
ok, thanks.
I guess I'll have to put it up on ramps and look it all over. If it is a rear main or head gasket. I know I'll have pull the engine. Is the factory manual give enough information on the engine for dismantle and put back together or is there another book out there for the engine? Also I reading up on the head bolts. The GM suggested kit seems to have had problems not working. Is there another kit suggested? I see post that some people just suggest to scrape the motor and just get a replacement. Some input please. I love the car as most on this board, but would like to know the actuall best way to go.
Thanks

maxwedge
04-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Scrap the engine for an oil leak? Not a good suggestion, take it to a qualified shop if you think this is over your head.

RJPolds
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
It is a little over my head, but my buddy is a certified mechanic who is willing to help with it. I am just curious, because of reading other posts. Thanks for the input.

aurorawoman
04-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Along those same lines. I have oil drops around the front. I haven't had to add oil between changes, however at this oil change I questioned it. Shop said it was a lot of oil present,but couldn't tell me how low if any the oil, was. They thought the pan, yes, I know an engine pull for this which is out of the question. Then they suggested a dye test for $75 dollars. Has anyone heard of this? It is a 97 Aurora wih 98,0000 miles on it.Thanks so much.

maxwedge
04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Has anyone heard of what the dye test?, yes very common for tracking leaks.

goode
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I would find out where the leak is, the cost to fix it & then decide. A sharp tech can probably find the leak without the dye test. Oil leak repairs are very $$$$$ especially on an Aurora. The repair would probably exceed the cost of the vehicle. I would add some oil seal additive to the oil crankcase & it should slow down the leaks for a few months (swells up the seals). Next oil change add the oil seal additive again.

RJPolds
04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Maxwedge,

you mention something about an oil galley plug. What is that and where is it on the engine? When I first read it, I thought it said, drain plug. Opps.
Thanks

maxwedge
04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Oil galley plugs that can be troublesome are at the rear of the block on most engines and can look like a rear main seal leak, Trans comes out to fix this. Again take your time with this and pinpoint the leak.

RJPolds
04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok, what is best way to locate that leak. Everything is so close together. Is there plates that can be taken off to see a little better?

jcoats01
04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I've got a leak as well, in the rear. Independent showed me it squirting our of what he said was the oil pressure sending unit, but he supposedly replaced it and it still leaks. Oil Pressure guage reads 131 psi all the top. Thinking about asking the dealer to look at it since I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Autobanaurora
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Check the oil pan. They dropped all bolts, retorqued with locktight and my leak vanished. Seems no need to drop pan and it takes a good eye to see. Also GM bulletin states this is a simple repair (275.00) Best investment I ever made on an oil leak.

Add your comment to this topic!