Isuzu: living on borrowed time?

La Temperanza
10-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Sigh... I'm afraid Isuzu isn't going to survive much longer. I've always liked them, and the current warranty is unbeatable, but I don't think another GM parts-bin truck is going to stop their death spiraling sales.

Isuzu's best chances, in my opinion, are either aiming their vehicles squarely towards the audience which *always* buys trucks- contractors and offroaders- or refining their Rodeo Sport into a seriously cool convertible SUV with a generous side of comfort. I think a jeep that doesn't turn your rear end into hamburger within the hour would hit the spot with some buyers.

But companies never listen to our suggestions anyway, do they? :(

mustangfreak
10-17-2002, 10:05 PM
yeah:( ive always had faith in isuzu's, their good reliable cars

Hudson
10-25-2002, 10:00 PM
As of now, GM owns 12% of Isuzu (down from 49%). GM has gutted the good parts of the company (its diesel engine division). And as of January 1, 2003, Isuzu will turn over their 49% share of Subaru-Isuzu Automotive to Fuji Heavy Industries, the owner of the remaining 51%. Isuzu isn't long for this world.

avalvo
11-12-2002, 09:27 AM
So what happens to those who own Isuzus with that great warranty. Who will service those trucks?

La Temperanza
11-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Possibly GM, more likely Subaru... but it won't be very good service, I suspect.

poweredbyisuzu
11-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Well who cares about the warranty n e ways. They never cover any thing. Besides I work on my own car now.

Hudson
04-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Will anyone truly miss Isuzu when they pull up stakes and drop their North American light-vehicle products? The Trooper's already gone. The Rodeo and Axiom are gone after the 2004 model year. They have the Ascender and they've promised an imported (from Thailand) SUV to replace the Rodeo, but will that me enough? When they dropped cars in the early 1990s, I thought they were on their way out at that time, but the trucks stayed strong. Now, the trucks aren't strong...is it really worth the effort to have just another truck brand on the market? Is there anything that Isuzu brings to the market (besides yet another brand name) that isn't already available? Nobody brags about the value of Isuzu products. Nobody brags about the quality of Isuzu products. It's been years since someone told me that they wanted to buy a Rodeo..and even longer since I saw someone buy a NEW Trooper. Shouldn't they just pack it in now? Give the dealers some warning so they can pick up a Suzuki or Subaru or some other franchise and leave the market quietly. Will anyone care when they're gone?

Jimster
04-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Hudson
Will anyone truly miss Isuzu when they pull up stakes and drop their North American light-vehicle products? The Trooper's already gone. The Rodeo and Axiom are gone after the 2004 model year. They have the Ascender and they've promised an imported (from Thailand) SUV to replace the Rodeo, but will that me enough? When they dropped cars in the early 1990s, I thought they were on their way out at that time, but the trucks stayed strong. Now, the trucks aren't strong...is it really worth the effort to have just another truck brand on the market? Is there anything that Isuzu brings to the market (besides yet another brand name) that isn't already available? Nobody brags about the value of Isuzu products. Nobody brags about the quality of Isuzu products. It's been years since someone told me that they wanted to buy a Rodeo..and even longer since I saw someone buy a NEW Trooper. Shouldn't they just pack it in now? Give the dealers some warning so they can pick up a Suzuki or Subaru or some other franchise and leave the market quietly. Will anyone care when they're gone?

Will If the Trooper, Axiom and Rodeo go- then what's left????? Also who is going to make GM's SUV's?????? I mean I don't want Chevrolets to replace the Holden Jackaroo/Opel Montery- As little as people care about the Trooper- also what about Opels Frontera???? So many questions are left unanswered.

The problem with Isuzu is that they are invisible- and they are set to fade into history and join other names such as Packard, Studebreaker, Austin, Triumph, Morris etc.................

Hudson
04-10-2003, 09:21 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, the Chevrolet Trailblazer/GMC Envoy is a better vehicle than the Trooper or Rodeo. The Monterey could be replaced by these if they've been designed for RHD.

As for the Frontera, it's going out of production relatively soon. The market could be filled by GMNA or Suzuki developed products. I would assume the Suzuki Vitara/Grand Vitara and the Grand Vitara XL7 would be better suited to Europe than the Rodeo/Frontera.

poweredbyisuzu
04-10-2003, 02:48 PM
haha i doubt isuzu will go down. and I disagree that another suv is better than the rodeo. No such suv out on the market today has the same feel in power than the rodeo does. Even though the GMC and chevy's are v8's they're damn heavy and slow. N E ways, isuzu will survive somehow

Hudson
04-10-2003, 02:54 PM
The Chevrolet/GMC SUVs have standard six cylinder engines that have far more power than the Isuzu V6. A V8 is not offered in the standard wheelbase Trailblazer/Envoy.

The Trailblazer/Envoy have better assembly quality and ride and are much more substantial vehicles than the Rodeo or Trooper.

Since GM wrote off their 49% holding in Isuzu, the company must be doing poorly. GM currently holds about 11% of Isuzu. Isuzu's only strong point is in their medium duty trucks since GM acquired the bulk of their diesel engine development.

Don't expect Isuzu to remain on the US light-duty market for long. They've already done nearly everything but pull up the stakes and head home.

rodeo02
04-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey Hudson, It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that isuzu is not doing well in the US market. Like you say, they haven't for some time now. GM had WAY too much influence over isuzu for too long. Of course GM will win out in the long run. GM got what they wanted from isuzu in the end, a light duty truck turbo diesel for the US. How can you compare a rodeo to a trailblazer? They are not at all the same class vehicle. Compare a rodeo to a 4dr chevy blazer, explorer (pre2002), or durango and there is no comparison. The rodeo is a far superior vehicle to these in every aspect aside from a dealer network. I took all this into consideration prior to purchasing my 2002 rodeo LS 4x4 last year. I knew the in's & out's before I got into it. You get the best vehicle & most product for the dollar with a rodeo,RS or axiom. My rodeo was $21600 +tax/fees. 2003's are roughly the same $$. Try to touch ANY other new SUV in this class with the same options for that. You cannot.
Joel

Hudson
04-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Actually, for the amount that Chevrolet/GMC and Ford were dealing, you probably could have gotten the Blazer/Jimmy or Explorer for near that. But by buying the Isuzu, you give up the accessability to 4,000+ dealers for service (which they all will need, including the Isuzu), you give up interior space, and you give up a proven driveline. I don't know your reason to choose the Rodeo over the other, but I don't see how the Rodeo is better than the others...except by perhaps a few dollars.

rodeo02
04-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Domestic brands obviously have many more dealerships (most of'em terrible) at their disposal than foreign brands. Try to find a mitsubishi or suzuki dealership. As far as cost is concerned, I shopped them all. Even with the big rebates & incentives on domestic SUV's, you couldn't touch a comparable blazer or explorer for less than around $24K + taxes/fees. Durango way more than that. The blazer has about 12cu-ft less cargo capacity than the rodeo, explorer & durango have only slightly more. The only engine that comes even close to isuzu's 3.2L as far as being technologically advanced, is ford's new 4.0L, only ford does slightly better on MPG's. Chevy & dodge's old push-rod engines are antiques in comparison. I've seen MANY ford explorer automatic trannys self destruct before their engines had their first scheduled oil change!!! 1996+ blazers have terrible front ends/suspensions. Constatly blowing ball-joints, idler arms, torsen bars & mounts. Dodge has issues all the way around. Isuzu builds a very stout, long lasting drivetrain that is both smooth on-road & VERY tough off-road. The GM 4L30E automatic has been in service since 1992 & is a very reliable tranny. The 3.2/3.5 isuzu truck engines are clean, very reliable & easy to service. This engine has more power than some v8 trucks i've owned/driven. IMHO, the 1998+ rodeos are a much prettier SUV than blazer,explorer,durango. I've gotten LOTS of compliments on how the rodeo looks. Bottom line is, you buy what makes you happy & fits your needs. I would much prefer a 4-runner or pathfinder, but can't justify another $5-10K. It is a shame isuzu let their US market blunder the way they have. They build an excellent SUV, but have not been able to sell them.
Joel

Hudson
04-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by rodeo02
Bottom line is, you buy what makes you happy & fits your needs.

Absolutely.

But Rodeos (and most Isuzu products over the years) have not been known for their quality or reliability. As a percentage of the vehicles on the road, I'd have to say that I've heard of more Isuzus dying than Fords or Dodges or Chevrolets. While the Ford and Chevrolet V6s are ancient (I wouldn't expect ANYONE to buy a V6 Durango), the additional technology on Isuzu's V6 hasn't improved its standing substantially in any survey.

As for the Big 3 and their dealers, yes...they have many bad ones. But again, as a percentage of the whole, Isuzu probably has more. Isuzu dealers, in most cases, are dualed with another brand and Isuzu is something that filled the truck gap twenty years ago. Today, their MAIN brand has trucks as well. The Buick-Isuzu (or whatever the dualing is) cares more about their Buicks now and the Isuzu side gets the shaft.

If you like your truck, more power to you. But the Rodeo has been passed by the competition. Isuzu dealers have been overlooked. Buyers have ignored the brand for such a long time that the company was forced to put a 10year warranty on these vehicles. Even that wasn't good enough to make people buy an Isuzu (although it worked wonders at Kia and Hyundai).

rodeo02
04-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Hudson: But Rodeos (and most Isuzu products over the years) have not been known for their quality or reliability.....I've heard of more Isuzus dying than Fords or Dodges or Chevrolets.... Without seeing actual/real data in regards to this, I'd bet this is completely untrue. I do agree that buyers have ignored the brand for too long - not due to quality issues, but to a TOTAL lack of advertising and a completely non-competitive pricing sceme. Dealers couldn't sell them so they kept them in the background. Isuzu MSRP'd their SUV's at a premium for too long. They've finally figured this out & dropped stickers by nearly 20% to keep up w/ competition, but it's a bit late now. I love my '02 rodeo, but it's not nearly worth the $28355 it stickered for. If they had priced them in the low $20K range all along, GM/Ford/Chrysler would be scrambling for position today.:eek:
Joel

Jimster
04-15-2003, 03:23 AM
The Amigo and Rodeo have had terrible reliability record- especially as the Vauxhall Fronterra- BUT the Trooper/Montery has had an excellent run in terms of reliability- the Diesels are troublesome at high mileages- but othre than that little roblems are known.

The brand is below the point of invisibility-In the last couple of decades they've always had cast offs from other makers- with the exception of the 1993 Gemini- which was a good- but boring car. I often forget that Isuzu even exists- they haven't realeased a new model here (Or in New Zealand) since 1992. Whether you like it or not- Isuzu is down the shitter.

Hudson
04-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I believe that ALL modern cars offered for sale in the United States are amazingly reliable. That said, in relation to all other vehicles sold in the US, Isuzu's usually rank below the average. According to J.D. Power surveys, Isuzu vehicles and dealers (different surveys) ranked below average in EVERY survey that breaks down the brands. Unfortunately, J.D. Power doesn't provide rankings of below average performers, but Isuzu was consistently below average. Initial Quality (measured in the first 90 days of ownership), Vehicle Dependability (measured over three years of ownership), and APEAL (basically ranking vehicles strong points as opposed to the other surveys' negative votes) surveys all failed to rank an Isuzu product among the above average vehicles.

Again, I hope your vehicle provides you with excellent service for as long as you're happy with the truck. It has been quite a few years since I felt Isuzu was competitve in the US SUV market. And this comes from my experience working in the auto industry.

rodeo02
04-15-2003, 11:07 AM
You are mean competition Hudson. Excellent debate! You are correct. The bottom line is the numbers don't lie. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is domestic brands have to sell 100+ SUV's for every 1 isuzu SUV sold. This HAS to skew the data significantly. It's much easier to get an ACCURATE sampling from huge numbers as apposed to a few. Oh well.. as long as I have a dealership to honor my big warranty for at least as long as I own the vehicle, I'll (and many others!) will be a happy. Take care & thanks!!
Joel

Euro19
06-21-2003, 01:43 AM
GM doesnt care any more about Isuzu, if they did they would had launched new improved models, but the Ascender? I donīt find it a good solution by rebadging the Trailblazer for a 4th or 5th time (TRailBlazer, Envoy, Bravada etc....) what this is doing is droping into canibalism :cwm27: I remember Isuzus being sold very well during the ī90 for example, you can see lots of Troopers and Rodeos in the streets, and I donīt know why the Axiom doesnīt sell well over in America, is such a nice SUV, but Iīve heard is unrefined. U know?

Hudson
06-23-2003, 10:32 AM
GM also doesn't run Isuzu. At one point, they owned about half (roughly 49%) of the Japanese company, but never placed any GM people in high-ranking positions. Early this year, GM wrote off their entire ownership of the company and repurchased 11%. GM acquired their diesel engine group and that's where they stand. The own less of Isuzu than they do of Subaru (Fuji Heavy) or Suzuki or Fiat Auto.

To say GM doesn't care about Isuzu is an understatement. GM acquired the parts of the company they felt were valuable and stopped selling Isuzu supplied light-duty products in the US in the early 1990s. The Isuzu-based Frontera ends production in Europe later this year.

Last one out, turn off Isuzu's headlights.

rodeo02
06-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Hudson:

Last one out, turn off Isuzu's headlights.

You just HAD to say that..:biggrin2: (kidding)

Time will tell.

Joel

1600cc
11-02-2003, 09:49 PM
you guyz should check out billsisuzuperformance.com ...he talks about a 2006 isuzu gemini coupe coming out..he's got pictures too..i'm hoping to buy one when it comes out, i love isuzus...the car looks kind of like the saturn ion...sister cars???

2eyefishclaw
11-02-2003, 11:34 PM
As an Isuzu Tech/owner (96 Trooper) I knoow where all of the frustration comes in. Dont you guys think that I have thought about where I will be working in the future. Well I have and I have also asked questions and from what I gather Isuzu is not going anywhere they are only trying to rebuild what GM has destroyed for them. Think about it guys when you change parts on your vehicles, its normally the GM parts that Isuzu has built their vehicles around that have problems. As for the ASS-ENDER junk junk junk I cant sterss that enough yes there have been some serious engine concerns on the 98-99 3.2L engines but every manufacturer has their flaws, and as an Isuzu Tech I can honestly say GM has more isuues than Isuzu. There has been talk of the introduction of a mid-size P/U in the US I have heard it may not happen now because of high import taxes, I have seen pictures and was told that there would be a deisel option. Well if they ever make it here I would try to be the firs to get one they look good and are all Isuzu from what I have heard. I belive these trucks are already on the road in other countrys. For my sake at least I hope they dont go anywhere because I enjoy working on them.

rhix
11-09-2003, 01:20 AM
I had a 1992 Rodeo and now have a 2001 Rodeo with a 3.2. I like the Rodeos. They were good enough for Honda to hang a "PassPort" logo on them. I got the second Rodeo because of my luck with the first one and due to the fact the Ford no longer makes Bronco and Chevy quit making Blazers both of which were around before the SUV craze or its name for that matter. I actually like the 2001 Rodeo better than my 1992 and even occasionally pull a 3500 pound 22ft Terry camper with it. It also has more pick than my work truck, Dodge Dakota Sport had with a 3.9 V6. I turned the Dodge in. GM (Garbage Motors) and Ford etc. are doing better on the Pickup sales than anything else. I'll probably build my own next vehicle or get a cayenne if nothing on a frame comparable to a Rodeo exists. Excursions are too big and so are Yukon. And now that the Rodeo Sport is gone there are no more convertables.

The best way to screw something up is to get GM or Chrysler envolved with exception of the Wrangler.

Add your comment to this topic!