Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny question, IDK what it is...

david-b
04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey all;
My car has always, when cold, been weird with the tranny. When starting off from a stop, it stutters while in gear until the clutch is fully let off. Also while say driving in 1st or 2nd gear... ok, so im in 1st with clutch fully let go, just rolling at like 2mph and I touch the gas, the car jerks. It's been doing stuff like this more often, even in low 2nd and 3rd. What do you guys think this problem is? Clutch, TOB, Master/Slave Cylinder? I'm hoping for the last one. What are the symptoms of the cylinders going out? I would hate having to drop the tranny.

SilvrEclipse
04-07-2007, 04:14 PM
So its almost like your clutch isin't fully releasing when cold. Usually the master/slave cylinders start to leak when they are going bad. Maybe try changing out the clutch fluid and bleeding the system.
My car kinda stutters to when the rpms are low. Mainly in 4th gear around 40mph or so, when im barely on the gas it jerks. But I think that has more to do with the motor than the tranny

Thor06
04-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Is it jerking forward or jerking backward?

david-b
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
The car is still moving forward. It's like stop-go-stop-go, just not coming to complete stops of course.

I've drained the clutch and redid it a little while back. Did it before then and had the saem afterward. It's even doing it after normal driving now, like when it's all warmed up and all.

It's really hard to explain without not being there. I'm going to try to take a video and try to see if I can capture the moment. But if I'm starting from a stop letting the clutch off slowly its jerky.

SilvrEclipse
04-08-2007, 09:21 AM
That sounds like your clutch may be bad. Or something may be warped

david-b
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I didn't want to hear that. Gah. I'm trying to stay away from a tranny drop as long as possible. Anyone else have anything else?

Mikelb
04-10-2007, 10:18 AM
how do your motor mounts look?

SilvrEclipse
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
he has the prothan mounts so they should be fine

david-b
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
ya those mounts are brand new prothane. did it before I had those also.

Mikelb
04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Ah, I didn't even pay attention to the sig, sry. It does sound like the clutch going to me though... If you are in third gear at a/b 2500-3000 RPM(not sure what speed that is), push the clutch, rev the car, and drop the clutch... if it's going bad it'll slip really bad, if not, it should catch pretty quick.

*Disclaimer: That test may indicate how bad the clutch is getting, though it may also completely destroy a clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!