Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine runs rough, like misfire-1991 Ciera

buickmastermind
04-06-2007, 01:40 PM
okay, long story here.

I'm driving a 1991 Ciera with the 3300, same eng as the one in the 91 Grand Ams.

Over the winter, the car had been run off the road by a SUV and got stuck in a snowbank pretty bad. Snow all packed in around the engine...took it to a carwash and blasted it all away. This is among the last time I recall it actually running halfway right.

Some time before, the temp. guage started jumping around, going up with throttle, then when hitting bumps, randomly pegging itself.

After the snow stopped, the car very slowly began to develope a misfire feeling. over a peroid of 1 month, daily freeway driving, it loses performance, gas mileage. Though not really bad, (25mpg from 28), the computer began setting a code (44 I think), with pointed to the Ignition Control Module. Due to 140,000 miles on the car, replaced the module, the wires, plugs, and coils. Reset the computer, and worked perfect for two days. Even the temp guage starts working again.

Then, the misfire feeling starts up again, so I reset the computer, nothing. Take back all parts, exchange, and find that one fuel injector stopped firing. Replace it with one I know to be working, and made sure all injectors are firing. Everythings checks out. Put car back together. Still misfires. Checked all grounds, all plugs, sensors. Can't find an electronic issue.

Will check later today for loose wiring by the computer, and timing. I think I can hear spark knock, but not sure. All my tools are @ home, and I'm at school so can only work on it during weekends.

Has anybody at all had this problem before? Any ideas what I'm missing? Methinks I should get an old-school carbed engine...much easier to diagnose.

xeroinfinity
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Well it wont move :screwy:

Anyways, test the coil packs!

xeroinfinity
04-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Thier is no need to post two threads on the same topic buickmastermind :disappoin

This is closed!

Add your comment to this topic!