93 Probe won't start... fuel

pegger555
04-06-2007, 02:45 AM
My 93 2.0L Probe will not start. Recently changed the plugs, wires, distributer cap & rotor as well as the alternator belt. Vehicle will crank but will not fire. There is spark. I have even tripped and reset the fuel cut off switch. I hear a faint noise when I turn the key to "On" so I think the fuel pump is doing it's part. I have even tried pumping the gas pedal when trying to start but I can't really smell any fuel. What else can I check/do before breaking down to do a fuel system pressure test?:banghead:

tooshort4any
04-11-2007, 12:47 PM
When checking fuel on my Probe, I take the return hose off of the fuel pressure regulator, turn the ignition key on and see if you have gas coming out. Not very scientific and is messy but I find to be a good initial check. That engine does not have schraeder valves on it to check fuel pressure if I am correct. To do one, the easiest way is to check pressure on the return side. Not the most accurate but at least you will get a reading. I took a pressure guage, hooked up a brass "T", put a short piece of 5/16th hose to the pressure regulator fitting and another to one of the sides of the "T", and hooked up the return line to the other side of the "T". turn on the ignition and see where you are at. Most repair manuals will detail proper pressure. I am going out on a limb but I think it is in the 35 lb area.

got celica?
04-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I am going out on a limb but I think it is in the 35 lb area.

I second that.

pegger555
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Faint clicking I heard was the relay... thinking my problem might be the fuel pump... oh yeah:shakehead :uhoh: :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!