Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cams won't line up on 95 Intrepid 3.5

Mechslow
04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm putting a new timing belt and tensioner in my 95. I got the crankshaft and cam on passenger side to line up on the marks but the driver side won't.
It turns but keeps stopping on the same 3 spots. How do I get it to line up so I can get this thing put back together? I'm getting desperate, there has to be a secret to it.

AWP9521
04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
If you are changing the belt/tensioner because the engine has close to 100K on the odometer then it may be a good time to change the water pump too while you are in there, it is usually recommended that the pump be changed also when doing the belt/tensioner replacement as a normal service for if the pump fails later on it may most likely trash the belt.

I am also assuming that you have removed the Tensioner Spring assembly and have pushed the plunger back into the body and have it secured with a hexy key to prevent it from placing pressure on the tensioner pulley, if not remove the plunger from the bottom of the timing case (2 bolts, mark the front of the assembly with something before removing) and place it in a vise and push the plunger in and secore with a hex key that will insert into the hole on the side to retain the plunger then reinstall. (Make sure the bend of the hex key is facing towards the front of the plunger assembly for easy removal once the belt is installed)

Make sure the Crankshaft timing mark is line up to the mark on the Timing Case (TDC), and make sure both timing marks on the Cam Pulleys line up inside of the 2 marks on the Timing Case. Start at the Crank Pulley and stretch the belt tightly around the Driver's side Cam Sprocket (the loose tensioner pully can aid in keeping the belt in place on the Crankshaft Pulley), if the teeth of the belt does not line right up with the teeth of the Cam Pulley, take a wrench the size of the Hex on the Cam Pulley and slightly turn the Cam Pulley clockwise to get the belt teeth to line with the Pulley teeth then reposition it back to the timing marks again to tighten the belt from the Crankshaft Pulley to the first Cam Pulley (Verify that the Crankshaft Pulley tinming marks are still aligned and if not correct), Then route the belt under the Water Pump Pulley and tightly back up to the passenger side Cam Pulley, use a wrench to rotate the Pulley slightly clockwise to get the belt and Pully teeth to line up again if needed. Then one final time double check your timing marks at the Crankshaft and Both Cam Pulleys, if they are all aligned and the belt is tight between the crank and drivers side Cam and between both cams and water pump and only loose between the passenger side Cam Pully and Tensioner and Crankshaft, then remove the hex key from the Tensioner Plunger assembly to put tension on the belt. Rotate the crank shaft by hand clockwise 2 turns and stop again with the Crank timing mark set at TDC (do not overshoot the mark and reverse rotation to realign, go 2 more turns then stop right at TDC) thyen look at the Cam Pulley Marks on both Cams to verify that the Pulley marks are lined up within the 2 marks on the Timing Case (they can be off to one side the other of center between the marks but not outside of those marks) and if they look good then your all set to put the engine back together.

Add your comment to this topic!