Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reduced power light

chickyricky
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I just changed the fuel pump on my 2002 camaro with a 3.8 engine.
Now the car starts and it idles from 500 to 1500 rpms and will not allow you to rev the engine up and has little to no power. The Reduced Engine Power light is on and Service Engine soon light is on also.
I took it to a shade tree mechanic and he said the computer needs to be reset. How do I do this????
I disconnected the battery cable and tryed to reset the trouble lights but they would not reset!!!
Please Help!!!

Ricky Newman

jjsfollys
04-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I am not too familiar with this setup or the light you have described, however, the condition sounds like your computer is in limp in mode. This would only occur if the computer has detected a major failure and will not come out of it until it clears. The only way to determine this is to pull the codes. I would suggest you find a good engine performance mechanic and take it to him. Your local dealer usually has one but they generally charge above and beyond.

For many years now I have believed that when a failure like this occurs it can be related to what was happening when it occurred. You said you replaced the fuel pump. When you finished, it was doing this. I would probably suspect the fuel pump or the work done installing it before I would look too far else.

I hope this helps...

Add your comment to this topic!