Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Quite Possibly My Next Car

DinanM3_S2
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.bmw.de/aktuell/automobile/2007/galleries/4_bmw_m3/04_zoom_front_528303.jpg

Der Neue BMW M3

420hp from a 4l V8 that actually weighs less then the S54 I6 in my car. 8,400rpm redline.

http://www.thecarlounge.com/news/publish/article_1074.shtml

In White

http://www.bmw.de/aktuell/automobile/2007/galleries/4_bmw_m3/04_zoom_linkeseite_528303.jpg

http://www.bmw.de/aktuell/automobile/2007/galleries/4_bmw_m3/04_zoom_hinten_528303.jpg

In Red

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/albums//Marques/BMW/M3/E92%20Coupe/005.jpg

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/albums//Marques/BMW/M3/E92%20Coupe/030.jpg

I think my biggest problem is that I've grown to like the Z4 M Coupe a bunch too.

http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/2090F7EC-F35F-455B-86D8-DDA0CBF618FA/0/z4M_C_gallery_03.jpg

I think the only other cars I would consider would be the Porsche Cayman S or possibly a used 997 CS, but the BMWs are significantly less expensive and more powerful.

-The Stig-
04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not entirely sold on it yet... it looks nice, but... just doesn't look M3'ish to me.

Still will be a nice car to drive no doubt.

BlackGT2000
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Nice choices, for some reason I still like the M Roadster better than the coupe. On the other hand, I like the Cayman better than the Boxter. Doesn't make sense, just the way I see it. Its hard to make an argument against the M3 though.

GForce957
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
no 335i in the considerations? twin turbos give you alot of potential

BullDog71ss
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
It looks like the previous God damned M, but not as good. The new front end ruins it for me. A new BMW V8 sounds sexy though.

drunken monkey
04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I find it hard to justify buying an M3 when for the same money you can get a very, very good condition 993 turbo.

DinanM3_S2
04-05-2007, 06:46 PM
no 335i in the considerations? twin turbos give you alot of potential

The 335i is a bit tempting, but there is just something more exotic about having a high revving V8 then a biturbo I6. I've heard of great things from that TT 3.0l; Vishnu (big Evo/STI tuner) has apparently seen 380whp on stock turbos. The thing is, there is more to the M3 then the engine, and there always has been. The steering, the suspension, the styling, the transmissions, the toys, as well as the incredible engines all come together to make the car an incredible machine.

Here are some of the cool new options and features-
DCT- 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission (like VW/Audi's DSG) or a 6 speed manual
HUD- Heads up display, similar to that found on the M5/M6 and the Corvette
Batteries recharged by brake energy regeneration
MDrive
Carbon Fiber Roof (like the E46 M3 CSL)
A bunch of other stuff, read that article I posted.

VR43000GT
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Wow, a V8 with 8,400 redline. Das ist sehr sehr gut. Ich mochte es! Das ist alles.

-The Stig-
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Batteries recharged by brake energy regeneration

What... BMW too good for a alternator? hehe

It's not a Hybrid, so why does it need that function? Sounds to me like unneeded weight, and one more thing that BMW can charge out the ass to repair.

I'm going to need to see one in person before I'm sold on it, I'm just not digging the looks yet.

RACER D12
04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
hmm... I really do think the Z4 Coupe is a sexy car but so are all the cars you said. If your going to mod I would say the 335i because it is already F/I. But theres something about saying you have an M3 thats just awesome. If your going for max performance with moding though I think I might go with the Cayman because its MR.

CassiesMan
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll take the E46 off your hands...

I personally think the new M3 is damned sexy.

-The Stig-
04-05-2007, 07:25 PM
But Porsches are just stupid expensive to modify. And there really isn't a whole lot of aftermarket for the Boxter/Caymans. Other than maybe wheels and brake upgrades... or a cat-back exhaust.

A company called TechArt in Germany, makes a kit for the Cayman S with a bunch of things done to it and makes 385hp, 70hp over stock. Problem is you've got to pull the motor and rebuild it completely and use their stroker kit. They also don't give a price...

http://www.techart.de/homee_gesamt.htm

CassiesMan
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
But Porsches are just stupid expensive to modify. And there really isn't a whole lot of aftermarket for the Boxter/Caymans. Other than maybe wheels and brake upgrades... or a cat-back exhaust.

A company called TechArt in Germany, makes a kit for the Cayman S with a bunch of things done to it and makes 385hp, 70hp over stock. Problem is you've got to pull the motor and rebuild it completely and use their stroker kit. They also don't give a price...

http://www.techart.de/homee_gesamt.htm

If you gotta ask, then its already to expensive...

-The Stig-
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Basically.

CassiesMan
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
The 335i is a bit tempting, but there is just something more exotic about having a high revving V8 then a biturbo I6. I've heard of great things from that TT 3.0l; Vishnu (big Evo/STI tuner) has apparently seen 380whp on stock turbos. The thing is, there is more to the M3 then the engine, and there always has been. The steering, the suspension, the styling, the transmissions, the toys, as well as the incredible engines all come together to make the car an incredible machine.

Plus One.

What many don't understand is that the E92 M3 is more than just a 335i with a body kit and a bigger motor, its a brand new car. The M line of cars is a new beast than the top of the line none M of its same class. The M3 is worlds apart from a 335i.

I'm looking more at used E46 M3s and the new 335i. The former because, well, its an M3 damnit. As Clarkson said, its the yard stick by which all others are judged. As one member of another forum I belong to has said, the M3 may not be as fast as the Z06, as quick around a track as a Porsche, or as luxurious as a Benz, but only the M3 can combine all of those qualities in probably the most intoxicating blend possible.

The later, well, the 335i is probably a better overall tuner car, which is one major aspect I'm looking for. Shit, for just shy of $2000, Shiv can get you an exhaust and ECU thingy (its not a piggy back, its not a chip, its not a programer, its a "PROCede Harness") which will get you north of 330 at the wheels. The car is also massively underated. It supposedly is making 300 at the crank, yet they are dynoing bone stock at around 270-280. That, or BMW has a drive train that looses less than 10% to the wheels. A 335i will also be cheaper on my insurance.

But again...its an M...
*sigh*

And with Bangels styling. Well, its one of those things that you either love or hate. There is no middle ground. And ya know what? Its still good. Because regardless of weather or not you love or hate the styling, you talk about it. And thats the key to marketing and advertising and sales...people are talking about it. I like them. I think every BMW has its own unique styling ques, and they are all sexy in their own ways. Its like the blonde the brunette and the redhead. Each of them can be hot, just in thier own ways.

Musashi3000GT
04-05-2007, 11:04 PM
so how much $$$ is the new M3?

TatII
04-05-2007, 11:16 PM
love the new m3's. nothing beats a engine that can rev sky high and still get good torque.

CassiesMan
04-05-2007, 11:34 PM

Based on the pricing of the previous M3, and the curent price of the M5 and M6, and what I've seen at most BMW dealerships on the '06 M3s still on lot...

Id say between the mid 50k going up to 70k, not sure about dealer mark up.

youngvr4
04-06-2007, 12:23 AM
its beautifull. the m3

CassiesMan
04-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Its so amazing how an entire group could be brought together and into a state of awe by one letter...

M.

DinanM3_S2
04-06-2007, 01:01 AM

Supposedly ~$54,000 starting, but being a BMW the options will probably put it around $60,000 or so. It depends on how much stuff I'll want. Not sure on the dual clutch transmission yet. My E46 is a SMG, so I might want to go back to a manual on my next car. Won't want nav. Will want the HUD. Probably will want the 19 inch wheels. Not sure on other options.

I won't be buying one right away because the dealerships will probably mark up all buyers on the waiting list.

Regarding the brake-power system-
Intelligent energy management featuring Brake Energy Regeneration likewise serves to further enhance the efficiency of the V8 power unit in the new BMW M3. In this case the power required for the on-board network is generated specifically during overrun and during application of the brakes, serving to charge the car’s battery at exactly the right time without taking up any of the energy contained in the car’s fuel. As long as the engine is “pulling” the car, therefore, the alternator generally remains disengaged. Apart from particularly efficient generation of electric power, this also serves to provide more drive power and traction for supreme acceleration at all times.

I'm not 100% sure (I suck at technical stuff like this), but I think that means I'll be either getting better fuel economy or a more efficient drivetrain.... or both?

CassiesMan
04-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Supposedly ~$54,000 starting, but being a BMW the options will probably put it around $60,000 or so.

Really, only at 54k? That actually might put this in my price range for a new car, if its only gonna be 10 to 11k more than a 335i Coupe...I mean, save for the DCT, I would ditch all the other options. Of course, thats most likely the eight grand option, lol. Figures. On the 335i I priced out, I had it at exactly 41K, and then added the paddle shifters. Jumped up to 45 and change. Oh well, the price we pay...

Oh, and I was talking to a friend on the phone and sent him this article. This is what he said.

EH-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-EM-Threeeeeeeeee

So Dinan, really, what are your plans for the E46? Trade in?

GForce957
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Not so much of fan of the styling of the new M3. I think the Z4 M looks better, but comparitively (sp?) is underpowered. Tuning and pricewise I like the 335i. Also, from what i have heard the dual clutch is better speed wise, but fun wise its less. There's just something about a manual that makes it a complete car. The m5 and m6 are supposed to be focused around that transmission, and manual actually degrades their performance. Dunno if the same is true about the m3

Dyno247365
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
What do you mean quite possibly? Just friggin buy it!!!!!

DinanM3_S2
04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Really, only at 54k? That actually might put this in my price range for a new car, if its only gonna be 10 to 11k more than a 335i Coupe...I mean, save for the DCT, I would ditch all the other options. Of course, thats most likely the eight grand option, lol. Figures. On the 335i I priced out, I had it at exactly 41K, and then added the paddle shifters. Jumped up to 45 and change. Oh well, the price we pay...

Oh, and I was talking to a friend on the phone and sent him this article. This is what he said.

EH-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-EM-Threeeeeeeeee

So Dinan, really, what are your plans for the E46? Trade in?

Well SMG cost me about another 2k, so I'd expect DCT should be about the same, although knowing the M group's recent fondness of sequential transmissions it might be no cost, like the M5/M6.

Regarding my car, I havn't made my mind up yet. I might try to unload her soon because the resale should drop off a bit once the E92 M3 is released, but I also know the salespeople at my dealership pretty well (they like me and my returning wallet) so I might be able to get a good deal on a trade her. Selling her myself might be a bit of a hassle. Selling modified cars (even lightly ones like mine) can attract some unwanted potential buyers just in it for the test drive... There is also a small M-car only dealership in Seattle that might want to take her off my hands. There are also some BMW guys around town that have had an eye on her for a while now. So I've got a few (too many) options. Odds are that I'll have her for another year or so. On the other hand.... I have grown rather attatched to her. Might be nice to have 2 cars as I have a little more money then I did 5 years ago. In all honesty, I have no idea, its all a little too far off right now.

Also, from what i have heard the dual clutch is better speed wise, but fun wise its less. There's just something about a manual that makes it a complete car. The m5 and m6 are supposed to be focused around that transmission, and manual actually degrades their performance. Dunno if the same is true about the m3

I've been a proponent of SMG/DSG/F1 style transmissions for a while now. I live and work in the city, so its nice to not have the clutch. If I keep the E46 (economically possible, but expensive) I might go with the manual. Daily drive the E46 and weekend drive the E92. Its true about the M5/M6 and the transmission, SMG is 100% better. The Europeans don't even get an option: SMG or nothing. The new M3's V8 (S65 I think) is based on the V10, but will have some significant differences. There is probably a bigger market for a manual M3 then M5, so they might work harder to make the manual work right with the rest of the car. When it comes to performance, most people will probably be faster with DCT as it removes almost all error.

turtlecrxsi
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
The new M3 looks like a really sweet high end coupe. A high reving v-8 sounds awesome. I'll have to look up the specs on this.

Musashi3000GT
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Up to 60k????
Thats a bit much. Amazing how much they charge just for the sake of it being a BMW.

CassiesMan
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Well SMG cost me about another 2k, so I'd expect DCT should be about the same, although knowing the M group's recent fondness of sequential transmissions it might be no cost, like the M5/M6.
*Crosses Fingers*

Of course, BMW may not charge that much, but dealers will most likely add on some bullshit finders fee or something.

Selling her myself might be a bit of a hassle. Selling modified cars (even lightly ones like mine) can attract some unwanted potential buyers just in it for the test drive...

True, and most of the 01-02 (I'm assuming thats what year yours is, based on the "five years ago" comment) ones in my area, although none are Dinan, are going for mid 20s, with a few in the high 20s and some in the base thirties. I even saw one go for 23k, under 50k miles. I would think going to your dealership or the M car only shop in Seattle would be the best bets. And I totally agree with you on the SMG/DCT type tranny's. The problem is, a 15 miutes test drive isn't enough time to really get to know the system. Just like with anything, it has a learning curve, and once you get it down, its excellent.

Up to 60k????
Thats a bit much. Amazing how much they charge just for the sake of it being a BMW.

Its not 60k just for the sake of being a BMW. You are paying for the engineering that went into the car, the R&D, everything. Hell, Im pretty sure the S65 is gonna cost a hefty bit more than a SBC. That, and you also have to take into consideration the bullshit required to get it here. Has to pass California emmisions, crash standards, and all that shit because 90% of Americans couldn't drive if someone did it for them. That, and of course importation tax tossed on because Detroit is in the shitter, and they need protectionary taxes on imported cars.

And when you really look at it, its expected. The 328i is in the mid to high thirties, and the 335i starts at around 40 and goes up from there. This one starts at 54, and moves on up. Its the top of the line 3er, so you're gonna pay more than for a lower model 3.

KamilMk
04-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Damn, that's a one sexy machine... When will the E92s go into mass production and finally come on sale?
I didn't read the artice, if it was mentioned somewhere in there, sorry...
Someone make it easy for me and just post the date?

:grinno:
Thanks.

Neutrino
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
If you gotta ask, then its already to expensive...

I beg to differ If price were not an issue you would not get a Cayman S in the first place and squeeze a bit more power out of it. You would get a 911 turbo or a GT3 or go for the gold with a Ruf.

about the car I think the new M3 is quite something, but IMO the proper manual should be the only choice. Yeah SMG/DSG might make quicker changes and no mistakes but that takes the charm away. Its all about making that perfect shift yourself and with such a gem of an engine a manual would give a far more intimate control.

And as far as traffic goes meh, personally I don't mind putting up with some of the worst European city traffic just for those few moments of fun when I open it up.

CassiesMan
04-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Just downloaded a video of the new M3 driving around some twisty roads...OMG. The sound is just, amazing. Its intoxicating, like, its not one of the base, open roars that you associate with V8s and such, its this refined, growl all the way through the rev range. It doesn't sound like an open piped exhaust, it has a slightly raspy burbble to it, somthing akin to some of the more exotic V8s out there. Just beautiful.

KamilMk
04-10-2007, 06:36 AM
I saw a video of the new M3 on YouTube.
Dont know if it was the same one you saw, but it was in the twisties also, and I fully agree that it was music to my ears.

Add your comment to this topic!