Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Side Mirror Install : 1958 Pickup

cbbond
04-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Dear Air-Cooled VW Forum Friends:

I am trying to install a new side mirror (driver side) and the old
mirror pin (that is broken off) will not budge. The pin (which I assume used to be a long rod) is rusted and stuck in the hinge. Luckily the pin can still be accessed from both ends (top and bottom of hinge). I have tried to hammer it out (from the bottom) with a big hammer but it just won't pop out.
Surely, I will not have to break the pin apart with a drill.

Please help.

Thanks,

Casey

BoatCop
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
If you can remove the entire hinge, you can take it to a machine shop and they can press it out.

Soak it real good for a few days with break-free or other good penetrating fluid.

If you can't take the hinge off, you may be able to pound it out after soaking it for a while. Make sure you pound from the bottom.

If nothing works, drilling is your only answer. Start with the smallest bit you can to keep from oversizing the hole. And progressively go larger until you can work the remnants out. Otherwise the new mirror shaft wont fit.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=VWC-211-898-513-KIT&Search1=Search

Rothart
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Since you can't take the hinge off and you've already marred the threads at the bottom, do this. Spray as much WD40 on it as you can. Clamp a pair of vise grips to the bottom threads and try to turn the vise grips while swinging the door open and closed. This should break it loose. Occasionally, close the door and use a punch right in the center of the pin and give it a few good wacks. Then repeat the process. Don't go crazy beating the hell out of the hinge because you will screw up the door alignment. Be gentle but firm and be patient.

Add your comment to this topic!