Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2008 Wrx

Right_LiRrr
04-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey All

Anyone seen this (http://drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=37416&vf=7&s_cid=autosalon:edm2007)yet?

Gotta be the most ugly thing I've ever seen and looks too much like a Mazda 3.

SabreKhan
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes. At least it's not an ugly-@$$ Alfa. The Impreza design is old and a bit tired, I'll admit (despite the biennial facelift), but to completely reposition the car like this is a tad extreme. I wouldn't mind a Subaru hatch, but don't call it an Impreza unless it's a hatch based in large part on the sedan Impreza (which this thing is not). It's almost as if Subaru is struggling with the Impreza, flailing about in an attempt to find a design that will "catch on." This is clearly unneccessary, since the Impreza is far and away the most popular car Subaru has ever produced. So, my question to FHI is: WTF? Why? Why take a proven design and drastically change it? If you wanted a hatchback, just bring back the Justy brand or something. I wouldn't mind a Justy STi. Alienation of your current market-share is a no-no.

Right_LiRrr
04-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Yeah I totally agree. By doing this they alienate what is a very loyal group of customers.

If they want a hot hatch, just make one and call it something else...even if it is entirely based on the impreza, who cares.

I have to say, the Evo X looks much more like my next car.

deep down, I hope this is all just a joke on Subaru's part and they're going to unveil something spectacular on April 5.

bmurphy317
04-07-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm just trying to get some thoughts on the '08 WRX. Myself personally, I hate them. I think that they hit the mark in '04, and it got even better in '06-'07. Especially with the STi. The aggressive styling was excellent. Now it just looks bland and uninspired. It's almost like they didn't try. But anyway, feel free to comment on this.

"Freedom is the road beneath you and your cares behind you."

bmurphy317
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I posted a similar post before noticing this one. It's definitely a bad move on Subaru's part. Even the sedan looks terrible. It's bland and uninspired, and I think it's lost the edge it had with the '06-'07 WRX and STi.

lamehonda
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
I wonder how it will drive though. I was kinda dissapointed that the hp is not increasing. They should have given it enough to get it up to the mazdaspeed 3 quarter mile times.

lamehonda
04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I too think it looks like crap. It was always ugly, but it was unique. Now it looks just like everything else and it's ugly.

bmurphy317
04-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Well, they're doing what VW did with the GTI and making it's torque available at a lower RPM. Subaru's, at least in my experience, are notorious for bad turbo lag. My friend has an '02 WRX, and when it was stock, the lag was bad. Subaru should take a leaf out of GM's book and use Variable Valve Timing like what they used on the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It keeps the exhaust valves open a touch at idle so that the turbo is already primed and you get instant torque, like with a naturally aspirated engine. They're going to lose the die-hard Subaru fans with this dumpy machine.

Right_LiRrr
04-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Well, they're doing what VW did with the GTI and making it's torque available at a lower RPM. Subaru's, at least in my experience, are notorious for bad turbo lag. My friend has an '02 WRX, and when it was stock, the lag was bad. Subaru should take a leaf out of GM's book and use Variable Valve Timing like what they used on the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It keeps the exhaust valves open a touch at idle so that the turbo is already primed and you get instant torque, like with a naturally aspirated engine. They're going to lose the die-hard Subaru fans with this dumpy machine.

They've already lost me.

There is no way I'm getting another WRX beyond 05.

They killed the 2L turbo formula. It has its faults, but that's why we love modding them. IMO they shoulda just built a brand new line of cars.

bmurphy317
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I think Mistubishi is going to trump them on this one. The Evolution is just a better car this time around. The design is better, the power is higher, and the car doesn't look like something someone's mom would drive to soccer practice. Who knows though. I could be wrong. This car could be the best (performing) Impreza yet. I'm anxious to actually see these cars just for the sake of seeing if my negative feelings are right.

SabreKhan
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
That little hatchback design does offer some performance pluses, but it's so ugly that I don't think they'll matter. The '08 Evo looks much better. Actually, the '08 Evo is the first Evo I've thought was pretty... ever. If I buy another rally monster, Mitsu gets the nod. If I buy a family car, the Legacy will be on the list, at least.

lamehonda
04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, they're doing what VW did with the GTI and making it's torque available at a lower RPM. Subaru's, at least in my experience, are notorious for bad turbo lag.

Not anymore. My 2.5 doesn't lag at all. I drove a 2.0 before I got this one and the 2.5 makes it feel kinda like a honda. :smokin:

SB300
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
does anyone else think the new Lancer/EVO looks like the Mazda 6's? i saw them next to each other in a parking lot and they strike a pretty close resemblance. don't know about the hatch....but it might be okay....i always wait til i see it in person....

mr_tw
05-03-2007, 05:59 PM
anyone happen to notice the power gain on the new WRX? from 224 up to 244?

Killa
05-28-2007, 10:10 PM
its look like a fucking honduh civic :banghead:

freakray
05-29-2007, 06:50 AM
its look like a fucking honduh civic :banghead:

No, it looks like a Mazda 3.

Don't insult Subaru by comparing it to an econobox.

Killa
05-29-2007, 04:57 PM
No, it looks like a Mazda 3.

Don't insult Subaru by comparing it to an econobox.

Evo X > WRX 2008 body style.

freakray
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
'08 WRX STI > Evo power.

For heavens sake, it's personal preference.

Killa
05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
The fastest 4 cyclinder in the world still a 4g63.:wink: . but you are right about personal preference:wink: .

Add your comment to this topic!