Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake lights on all the time

neilmac78
04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
i have a 95 talon 98 engine a/t non-turbo.

I have been working on the car for awhile now and everything was fine until i tried a new Computer in it to see if it would fix a differant prob. When i put the other ECU in the brake lights stayed on. I figured it was just the ECU that had differant wiring. So i start putting my car back together with the original ECU and the brake lights are still on. This never did this before i change the ECU. only way to get the to shut off is to pull the fuse. they even stay on when i turn the key off. i checked the wires around ECU to make sure no wires were pinch or broke. Could it be a ground issue even though i didn't tutch any wiring?

spyderturbo007
04-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I would check out the stop light switch and make sure that you didn't bump it while working on the ECU. It's under the dash on the other side of the brake pedal from the operating rod. It's round and has a lock nut on the side closest to the pedal.

neilmac78
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
i will check the brake light switch but in my car the ecu is in the engine compartment with the trans ECU. and its not a turbo.

spyderturbo007
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Crap, I always assume that everyone has a GST/GSX. Sorry.

crunchymilk55
04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
look under your pedals, I bet there is some broken blue plastic pieces

there is a little blue circle that pushes down a button constantly. When you push the brake pedal, it lets go and then the lights come on. That blue piece came off on my car once and the brake lights stayed on no matter what.

I superglued a pencil eraser in its place and it worked out.

neilmac78
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
That was it. i looked and i seen a little spot of blue plastic on the brake lever and the button going into a hole in lever. put a screw in the hole and i am good to go/ sort of untill the tranny is fixed.

thanks everyone

Add your comment to this topic!