Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 intrepid,2.7 rebuild advise

?x?
04-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Well ,i bought my cutie intrepid last year and after a week driving i just broke down.
The dealer "checked" (just heard the sound),and told me that timng chain is broken,and has screwd the piston valves.
I have asked around and e few mechanics have told it it could be rebuild for around 1500-2000 greens.Right now i am broke.
I have the guts though to become dirty and oily and try to rebuild it myself.

Do u think it could be done?And what exactly might have gone wrong and how can it be fixed?

I can buy some new or used timing chain and piston valves but do i need a whole engine block?

The dealer had told me its worthless to try to repair ,but my car has had 1 year geting dust in the parking lot,i have almost nothing to loose.
The weather is geting warmer here in michigan and i have like 2-3 hours evenings free to try fixing it.

A mechanic told me he could do it in a week,40.

He is a mechanic and i am not so it might take me some 100 or more hours.
2-3 hours daily it means 2 or 3 months working on my baby,gaining a lot of skills and pleasure and a lot of dirt.

Hopefully u arent tired yet of reading this,my fingers are getting tired.

Oh yeah ,does the engine has to be removed ?

100k thanks

wafrederick
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
You might want to look into a 2.7 to 3.2/3.5 conversion too and this the cheaper route.Yes,a 2.7 to 3.2/3.5 conversion can be done and I have done a few of them.I f you are thinking of doing the conversion,go with a donor car instead of the kit.You have the parts on hand instead of taking a few trips to the junkyard for parts.You need the front exhaust,power steering pump and resivior,radatior,A/C lines and A/C compressor,heater hoses,throttle cable,starter w/the cables and alternator,the back part of the air cleaner and the radaitor hoses.You will have more power and a more reliable car this way.The 3.2 and 3.5 are bulletproof engines and last longer than the 2.7 engine.The donor cars to look for are 1998 and up 300Ms, Chrsler LHS and New Yorkers,Intrepids and Concordes with a 3.2 or 3.5.Call any junkyards for them,if they have any wrecked ones.

Add your comment to this topic!