TCC solenoid

dawid1984
04-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I have this problem with the engine stallin when coming to a stop so i read some articles on here and one of the solutions is to disconnect the blue plug onder the air filter assembly.... if i do that are there any risks involved?... why is that solenoid there if you can unplug it and run fine.... i know it will cost me some of the milage but still i dont feel like spendin extra $300 on the repair... it is a 3.1 V6 1991. i did not unplug it yet .. waiting for some response... especially from ppl who have done it....thanks David

jsgold
04-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Our 91 has been like that for 7 years. It now has 200,000 miles on it and is driven everyday, seven days a week. The negative thing is a drop in MPG but only a small amount. The car will act like there is no overdrive, that is the best way I can describe it. The motor will run a slightly higher rpm. If you want an accurate description on what the TCC does I would pass to another member but I think it is supposed to lock the torque converter at certain speeds but when it fails it won't disengage when hot. Shops usually charge about 150-250 here which includes a fluid change. Most shops insist on the fluid change so the junk in the old fluid won't screw up the new solenoid. My advice is go ahead and unplug it so you can at least drive the car. If you plan to keep it for 4-5 years maybe go ahead and get the TCC fixed, just to take a little wear off the engine. The solenoid is only about 20-25 bucks but the labor is high since Corsicas are usually harder to work on with these because of the location. I also know of several others who have done this, with NO issues other than what I mentioned.

dawid1984
04-01-2007, 10:39 PM
sweet thanks... i will try to unplug it and see how it works.. how long can you drive like this...... will it somehow create any possible damage to the engine......by driving it like that ?

jsgold
04-02-2007, 08:13 AM
So far 7 years and about 70,000 miles on ours. It places a little more strain on the transmission as I understand talking to a transmission guy, but how long are you going to keep it and how hard do you run it? I would guess you would not really notice anything different except at high speeds over 70 mph. And then, just a little more rpm to run there. This is a common thing to do on older cars. The best thing would be to fix it, but, we are talking about an older car here. If it was a low milage car in fantastic shape I would say get it fixed, but otherwise I would not worry about it.

troy1
04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
no engine damage will occur but your mileage will suffer.

CaptainTrips
04-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I was having the same problem with my 93 corsica and was told to replace the throttle position sensor, and now it never stalls :-D
hope this helps :)

Add your comment to this topic!