okokok... STRIPPING!

Earlsfat
03-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Need to know what to use to strip the paint and junk of the block.

I am assuming whatever I use would be bad to get into the cylinders, etc?

wrightz28
03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Whew! :eek7:

With that tittle had me kinda scared there for a sec.

Wasn't sure what or should I say who was stripping in here. :uhoh:

On the bleck, yeah, you don't want media blast or anything, and if you have it dipped, obviously have it done before you start putting it back together so it can be honed out.

Earlsfat
03-30-2007, 03:42 PM
...With that tittle had me kinda scared there for a sec....

Scared or excited??? TITTLE :rofl: :lol: Tittles are good, tittles are fun. I LOVE TITTLES.

Ok, seriously now. I'm not disassembling the whole thing. I just want to get the paint that's on there off, pistons still in , etc... Willl mineral spirits work?

wrightz28
03-30-2007, 03:54 PM
You're bound to get some (spirits) in the motor and that could be a prob.

And ever since you busted my balls once about tittles, yes , titles are forever tittles. :icon16:

2.2 Straight six
03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
oh, the block.

what a let down.

skibum1111
03-30-2007, 06:48 PM
okokokokok wow thats easy to type. Anyway, the last time I stripped a block I used a product called aircraft remover. Basically it eats everything except metal and glass. Apply it with a paint brush, wait 15 minutes or so, use a pressure washer and everything comes off. The only downfall to this is if you use it outside nothing will ever grow where you sprayed the block. It also does a nice job of eating skin. Be careful not to get it into the motor as bearings are soft and I'm sure it would eat them. Or you could strip the rest of the block and have it tanked, which is probably the easiest way to do it.

Morley
03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
If you use the aircraft paint stripper be advised that the bare metal will flash rust immediately. Also, don't get it on any rubber, plastic, bearings, gaskets...etc, etc. That stripper is vile stuff and should be used with heavy rubber gloves, face shield, lether/denim apron, long sleeves. Basically you want to be wearing the "full body condom" when using it AND in a well ventilated place.
Depending on the type of paint on there, acetone works well, used with a stiff bristle brush.

SG007
03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
oh, the block.

what a let down.

You wanted to see Jim strip? :lol:

Earlsfat
03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey now... I'm a sexy thing... I'll have you know that my strip shows have been known to make women pregnant. :naughty: :lol: (Edit: Visions of "Fat Bastard" rubbing his nipples... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

Them Brits have an odd sense of humor though. That or he might be looking for pointers on how to do a totally HOT strip show for his old lady.:rofl:

2.2 Straight six
03-31-2007, 12:45 PM
You wanted to see Jim strip? :lol:

:uhoh:

Earlsfat
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
And here is where my totally innocent thread completely nosedives into the bowels of AF perversion...

SG007
03-31-2007, 06:53 PM
And here is where my totally innocent thread completely nosedives into the bowels of AF perversion...

:naughty: You're welcome.

stepho
04-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Willl mineral spirits work?

Mineral spirits is a thinner not a stripper. I doubt it will be at all effective in removing paint from the block. Dad's Easy Spray is the best paint stripper, but you would have to be careful not to get it in the cylinders. It might be easier to keep it out of the cylinders than anything else though since it is more of a gel then a liquid.

wrightz28
04-02-2007, 09:19 AM

That's what happens with a subject line like that, you get a little tittle-twister. :lol:

SG007
04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
tittle

love them tittles :naughty:

Earlsfat
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
:banghead: ***walk away... leave it alone...***:banghead:

2.2 Straight six
04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
so anyway, when do we get the pictures of this strip?

i mean engine...

Earlsfat
04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
YEP! Whenever I get around to it. Nothing has moved since I pulled it out and mounted it on the stand. It's too heavy to move around and stuff gets all over the place, any spectators might find themselves coated in a rather unpleasant, funny smelling, fluid. :rofl:

Seriously though... I do plan on posting pic's.... but I probably won't actually do anything for another week... the full-court press is on... last week and a half of the tax season rush. Maybe if I take a half day this Sunday I'll do it then... problem is when I'm around the kids are always hanging on me because I don't get to see them much this time of year.

(Just don't laugh at how fat I've gotten if my stomach happens to show in some of the pictures. :disappoin )

2.2 Straight six
04-03-2007, 01:48 AM
(Just don't laugh at how fat I've gotten if my stomach happens to show in some of the pictures. :disappoin )

aww... don't worry, i don't like them too skinny.. :smooch:

SG007
04-03-2007, 07:14 AM
aww... don't worry, i don't like them too skinny.. :smooch:

WOW!

wrightz28
04-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Ewwey, can you boys get a room? :puke:

1986Z28
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
^ +1!

88camaroproject
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
buy a bunch of cans of brake parts cleaner. it completely evaporates and dosnt leave residue. hell thats what we clean cylinders with..... but it does a pretty good job taking paint off, and if it dosn't all come off it will definately be clean enough to paint over, maybe scuff the old paint up with some steel wool first or sand paper then use the brake parts cleaner for better penetration......... sorry had to do it

SG007
04-03-2007, 11:25 AM
hahaha he said penetration.

Earlsfat
04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
So long as the penetration includes tittles, I'm good to go.

Earlsfat
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
haha...

<------ He's motorboatin' some tittles.

2.2 Straight six
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
WOW!

what?

instantkevin
04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
a very effective method for removing paint: when i needed to strip parts of my original engine I just took my drill (a regular electric socket powered drill) and added and wire brush attachment from the hardware store.

(note: use the circular wire brush that has the wires pointing outward, perpendicular to the direction the drill points).

if u need a pic of what im talking about let me know.

this is very easy to do, little effort required and does not invlove chemicals.

believe it or not, I stripped my entire car to bare metal with the drill. with sandpaper though. of course.

Earlsfat
04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
a very effective method for removing paint:

THANK YOU! I believe that one is the winner... that marine stuff seems to be a little too far on the unhealthy for me. Maybe start it out with that and finish it off with acetone as a final clean up or whatever.

Thanks bro.

stepho
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Bah! you call that effective?

Daddy's Easy Spray is way more efficient.

Spray it on, wait about 15 minutes (have a beer, or two, or three) and wipe it off with a rag.

I wouldn't use it on the engine though, would be hard to clean out of the cylinders, and such.

Earlsfat
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Welllll... I AM talking about stripping the engine. Could maybe cover the places to not be stripped witha a rag though.... hmmm... hafta think about it.

instantkevin
04-08-2007, 09:27 PM
the wire brush is easy and works perfectly. little effort required.

any chemical that strong can damage electrical components and requires clean up, sometimes a breathing mask, and correct disposal (for those who care about the environment). Do it as you wish.

Add your comment to this topic!