Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Styrene sheets

integra818
10-11-2002, 12:03 AM
I baught 2 sheets of 1 mm thick styrene sheets today. When I cut them and tried to make molds for the bumpers,I coulden't do it, If someone knows how to make molds for bumpers,can you please tell me? I tried to use only putty for my nsx and that didnt work out. I realised that I need to make a mold or something to work on, cozmo helped and told me what I need to do (thanks Cozmo) but I still can't make a mold from styrene sheets, it seems-out of my league.
I need help :( :( :(

_835_
10-11-2002, 12:48 AM
i think the trouble is the 1mm ... hard to bend even plastic one !!!
i use 0.5 mm plastic sheet and it's really nice.

And Before starting the modification :
- always study what you need to do.
- make template in paper...
- when the template is correct..you juste have to cut the same in the plastic sheet, glue, add putty...wait... sand..sand..compare with what you want...sand... and finally prime to watch error... most of the time need to add putty and re-sand. ;-)

It s not the "universal" way..but mine..and it works well ..

But better modeler can help you more...

integra818
10-11-2002, 12:50 AM
I'm going back to the hobby store tommarow to pick up some 0.5 mm sheets,thanks for the help :)

Daryl
10-11-2002, 05:37 AM
I think Evergreen sells a pack of assorted gauges of plastic sheet. I find that very handy.

hirofkd
10-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by integra818
I baught 2 sheets of 1 mm thick styrene sheets today. When I cut them and tried to make molds for the bumpers,I coulden't do it, If someone knows how to make molds for bumpers,can you please tell me? I tried to use only putty for my nsx and that didnt work out. I realised that I need to make a mold or something to work on, cozmo helped and told me what I need to do (thanks Cozmo) but I still can't make a mold from styrene sheets, it seems-out of my league.
I need help :( :( :(

Plastic sheets are useful to make a flat piece or a template for putty, such as this.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/325882p-sheet.jpg
The lower side was made with plastic sheets, and polyester putty was used to fill a gap.
Do you have a picture of the bumper or something similar, that you are going to make? That will help give you clear advice.

Add your comment to this topic!