Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does epoxy putty have this problem???

integra818
10-10-2002, 11:54 PM
I baught some "contour putty" (made by testors),and when I tried to make a lip for my nsx the putty was giving problems,the surface was drying up while underneth it,there was wet putty,so when I tried to mold it,It only moved a top layer of dried putty,and it always ripped,It happend about 30 minutes ago,does epoxy putty form tamiya do this crap???

:mad: :mad: :mad:

wkma7six
10-11-2002, 12:03 AM
That stuff is literally like, " SHIT". Throw it away or use it for making 1/24 dog doo. squeeze and it comes out like a pile of logs. Spend the feew extra bucks and get the Tamiya or the Squadron green stuff. Some of us, including myself use the Spot putty made by Bondo/Dynatron sold at Wal Mart stores in the US. You can usually find it at automotive paint supply places and this stuff lasts a long time for the same price as Tamiya.
-Walter

Hey, Integra818. Don't you live in North Hollywood? I remember you. PM me or email me and I'll help you out with some other questions.

joecwlaw
10-11-2002, 12:29 AM
I tried Epoxy Putty from Tamiya, and the quality is quite impressive. After it dries, it requires some hard sanding job from you. You need to be patient and spent time on shaving the shape you prefer. I would suggest you to use Styrene sheet as a base for the lip and add putty on it for curve and round shape. :)

935k3
10-11-2002, 06:36 AM
Go to an automitive paint supply store and get DYNATRON PuttyCote it is a two part mix putty that will not shrink,featheredgess beautifully and drys in 15 min. Ialso found out you can actuallly glue sheet plastic over it. It can be polished to a very glass smoth surface. BONDO owns DYNATRON and some stores are selling BONDO Ultimate which I think might be the same stuff because they both use a blue hardener and the description sounds the same.

hirofkd
10-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Sounds like you are using a wrong putty for the task. Contour putty is not meant to be used to add a volume, but rather applied very thinly to correct a small gap. It hardens by losing the solvent in it, so it shrinks. Epoxy putty and polyester putty hardens by chemical reaction, so the inside will evenly be cured, and more suited to the task you are doing.

joecwlaw
10-11-2002, 08:18 AM
you guys are expert......knowing all these chemistry things :ylsuper

COZMO6476
10-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by wkma7six
That stuff is literally like, " SHIT". Throw it away or use it for making 1/24 dog doo. squeeze and it comes out like a pile of logs.

LOL i couldnt agree more. cant imagine anyong using testors contour putty successfully. its so grainy. but to address the question at hand, through my experience plastic stock with putty is the best way to go. that combination has the most durable and workable structure.

Add your comment to this topic!