Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Getting a used ECU for 98 Rodeo

topazmoon3
03-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Anyone know if we buy a used 98 Rodeo ECU if we have to re-program the computer or will it be ok w/o having this done? Appreciate a response as my car is almost in a coma, lol.

amigo-2k
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
If you want to be safe you can check the part number of the junkyard one with yours. No reprogramming is necessary. plug and play (as long as the part numbers match up; if you have a different part number it may also work but you will have to contract a dealer (like St. Charles) to verify the part number will work with your application).

-Ryan

Ramblin Fever
03-30-2007, 06:35 PM
How do you know for sure it's the ECU?

trooperbc
03-30-2007, 06:39 PM
or you can go to the official isuzu online parts site
www.myisuzuparts.com (http://www.myisuzuparts.com)
find the part # you want (year, model, etc) , click on the < ? question mark> icon and a window will pop up with all the applications for that particular part number like magic....

....snip...EDITED by me....looked like wrong info...

what engine do you have?

//bc

topazmoon3
03-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys, I will go with all the info, and Ramblin fever-The stealership
came up with a code saying it was the computer,so we'll see...

trooperbc
03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
...The stealership
came up with a code saying it was the computer,so we'll see...

what was the code?
and what engine do you have?

//bc

topazmoon3
04-11-2007, 06:58 PM
First, sorry coming back late with reply...anyway, itis a 3.2 Liter, V6...the dealership came back with Quad driver circuit failure DTC P1650, needs a PCM. So we are ordering one thruogh Auto Zone for $135.00. I will let you know what happens. It has absolutely NO power and 1st and 2nd gears about put you through the windshield sometimes. I wish this on nobody. We'll see how this goes...stay tuned:shakehead

2eyefishclaw
04-12-2007, 01:22 AM
dont replace the pcm
quad driver circuit is sometimes set when other DTC's are set it is an analog to digital conversion concern with whatever other component has a problem
I am an isuzu tech I know what I am saying I am the guy other dealers send their problems what are the other DTC's htere has to be another the 1650 will not set alone
if the pcm is replaced with a salvage yard unit there is a chance the pcm may have to be programmed depending on calabration
by the way does P0463 ring a bell or did they tell you that you also need a fuel pump

topazmoon3
04-12-2007, 07:48 PM
dont replace the pcm
quad driver circuit is sometimes set when other DTC's are set it is an analog to digital conversion concern with whatever other component has a problem
I am an isuzu tech I know what I am saying I am the guy other dealers send their problems what are the other DTC's htere has to be another the 1650 will not set alone
if the pcm is replaced with a salvage yard unit there is a chance the pcm may have to be programmed depending on calabration
by the way does P0463 ring a bell or did they tell you that you also need a fuel pump 2eyefishclaw...They did not sat anything about a fuel pump or the code PO463. Hew mentioned the PO101, but we replaced the MAF sensor but we didn't reset the code. My husband said resetting it should not effect the way it runs.(?) Every time you get a part do you have to reset codes? And years ago disconnecting the odometer from the transmission to save milage and never reset the codes for that as well.
The good ole cars back in the day rule!!!!:banghead:

trooperbc
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
you reset (i.e. clear) the codes so that you know or not whether you are dealing with current problems or not. otherwise there is no way to tell. it's not so much that it's a new part, it's whether you had a code, and whether the work you have done has solved that problem.

it's not a big deal, just disconnect the battery or computer fuse for like 15 seconds. it's true it won't affect the way it runs. (!)

when you say you disconnected the odometer from the trans to save mileage, what do you mean? you took out the dash multi-meter fuse so that you wouldn't show the miles you actually drove? that can cause operating problems, and i imagine could set a code that made it appear the computer was bad.

so just clear all the codes now, and start over, i.e. see if anything sets now. it may take a few driving cycles for the computer to relearn etc for the engine operation to be at its best.

/bc

Add your comment to this topic!