Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 GS-T weird spark prob....

recycle_me
03-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Ok so i bought a 95 2.0 SMALL turbo car and it is doing the whole not starting thing. New fuel pump also come on and pushed fuel through lines. I know this due to i took off the return hose and turned ove the engine and it shot fuel into to lil can i had sittin there. Also smells of awful gas when i turn over the engine. Now i know the it could be my coil packs but when i do the spark test, i get a spark when i first hit the key and none while holding the key and one more when i let go....so two total none during cranking. So im leaning to the ECM...but i also heard it might be the CAS no if my cas is bad doesnt that mean that i have crank walking......?Any help would be greatly app. Thanx in advanced.... Also is the ECM located behing the radio with 4 lil plugs comeing out? Any thing else i need to check?

spyderturbo007
03-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Yes, the ECU is located behind the radio. I would also check and see if the ECU is an EPROM while you have it out. DSMLink would be a great upgrade after you get the starting problem figured out, if the ECU is indeed an EPROM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the ECU won't turn on the fuel pump until it gets feedback from the CAS, if I remember correctly.

Blackcrow64
03-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the ECU won't turn on the fuel pump until it gets feedback from the CAS, if I remember correctly.
That is correct indeed.

recycle_me
03-30-2007, 05:38 PM
so then the CAS is not my proble?? then maybe its coils or ecm....but if ecm was bad then i wouldnt be getting fuel correct?

recycle_me
03-30-2007, 07:37 PM
so i went to go pull the coils off and while i was in there i couldnt figure out how to get them out so i pulled the fuel rail and while i was in there i decided to see if the injectors were purging, turns out there not. Though i do have fuel going through the rail...just not out injectors. so does this mean i might have a bad ecm? also no eprom just a standard ecm p/n md309947. If anyone has a goos one just lying around and want to sell it........ let me know.

recycle_me
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
so i cant find my cam angle sensor. i know hwere its supposed to be but its not there. just a black cap to plug hole. do i have a cam sensor or no?

spyderturbo007
04-02-2007, 07:51 AM
You can find you CAS here:

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/cas.htm

As for it being your problem, I'm not sure, but you should still check it out. I'm not sure what feedback the ECU is looking for when energizing the fuel pump, but it might not be as specific as the feedback needed for spark and fuel.

Other than the easy stuff like plugs and wires, the CAS is one of the more common problems associated with no spark. If you are also not getting fuel, I would definately check it out.

defiancy
04-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't necessarily count out your ECM. My car when it was dead, would pump fuel into the motor and turn over like it was going to crank it would just never start. I had spark fuel etc. As soon as I swapped in a new ecu it fired right up.

recycle_me
04-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Ok so yesterday i installed my new cam and crank sensors and got everything back togther. Aside from my plug wires being all messed up she ran and drove just fine. Not bad considering i only paid 800 dallars for this car and only thing wrong was a bad cam sensor. i went a head and replaced the seals on the cams and crank also replaced the timing belt and balance shaft belt along with waterpump and all that good stuf. Also while i was in there i went ahead and replace the crank sensor just to ease my mind once i got everthing togther. Only thing left is new plugs, wires, coils, and an oil change. Just wanted to let you guys know the problem and to thank you all for the help. Thanks.

Mikelb
04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Glad you got the problem figured out. You got one hell of a deal then.

Don't necessarily count out your ECM. My car when it was dead, would pump fuel into the motor and turn over like it was going to crank it would just never start. I had spark fuel etc. As soon as I swapped in a new ecu it fired right up.

Not to jack this thread, but for future reference. I, too, had this problem. My old ECM shorted out something. I didn't realize this, and swapped another in. The car still wouldn't start. I swapped mine back in (thinking it was fine, as the car was doing the same thing with the new ECU). I tested the ignition, and the coil pack and transistor packs were out of tolerance. I replaced them and the car still wouldn't start. I pulled my ECU apart this time. I discovered that there were black spots on it, and that apparently when it blew, it took out my ignition and AFC. After replacing the ignition and swapping in the other ECU (and removing the damaged AFC), the car fired right up.

(Another hint as to how close to having the car back together I am)

recycle_me
04-05-2007, 04:40 PM
well took the car aroung the block today. got one hell of an oil leak so i have to take everything back apart to replace the front oil seal around crank but car has some decent acceleration for as many miles it has. but thanks agin for all help. guess ill learn to replace everytinh that could possiable go wrong while i have it apart huh. well lesson well learned.

Add your comment to this topic!