Is there a difference in gas?

fooey1987
03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
I have been told by some mechanics not to use generic gas or cheap gas like Arco, Safeway, Costco, etc. but to use Chevron, Shell, etc. Others tell me there is NO difference in gas, and all gas is the same. I am so confused!

Can someone please tell me if there is a difference in gas? I use regular for my 87 Accord LX. Recently, my car lost power on the freeway several times, so I replaced the catalytic converter, but the mechanic said I may have gotten a tank of "bad gas". What is bad gas? I have always purchased my gas at either Costco or Safeway, but I don't know where it comes from.

I like Chevron stations as they are clean, there's always windshield wiper cleaners and paper to check your oil, PLUS there's never any lines AND I can use my debit or credit card. It says they add some type of cleaner to the gas which is better for your engine. Is this true?

What is in more expensive gas to make it better and what do they add to cheap gas to make cars lose power?

Gohan Ryu
03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
All oil companies put additives and other chemicals in their gas to keep emissions clean and to keep your fuel system from clogging. Some oil companies use better quality additives than others. Chevron is one of the best.

And yes the quality of the gasoline affects engine performance. I notice a slight difference in my Prelude if I use cheap gas.

Add your comment to this topic!