4 wheel drive warning light

regefarina
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
My 2006 Envoy XL Denali has 4-wheel drive warning indicator on the dash. Light came on during normal driving in 2 wheel drive high. Later I thought I felt the transmission slipping after stopping and starting. Brought in to my dealer and after a 4 hour wait I finally got to talk to the tech about what as going on. He said that no code was stored in my vehicle. He checked it out and took it for a test drive. He got no warning light and felt no slipping. He said it was possible I heard the fan clutch motor when stopping and starting and thought it was revving high and slipping. Also noted that the front tires were a little low and this might have triggered the light. Advised if the light came back on to, “bring it back in.” No sooner than pulling in my driveway after the 30 mile cross town drive back and the light was on. It now comes on just after starting. My question is, do I ignore the light? Is it possible that it is a faulty relay? My Envoy only has 5,200 miles on it and the tranny is still under warranty. I don’t want to go back to this dealer. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

RF :banghead:

rodeo02
03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
It's a good thing to make sure your tires are aired up to specs and all 4 tires are the same size (Tires do get swapped at the dealerships.:banghead: ). If the problem is intermittent. I'd exersize the heck out of the 4x4/mode switch on the dash to get the concern to surface. Be sure try 4low in your driveway (straight ahead ONLY on dry pavement) and follow the manual to get the transfercase in "N" (neutral) mode.

Joel

lowsonoma1999
04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I had that warning light come on in my '06 as well. This was back in probably January or so, we had a lot of snow on the ground. Had it in auto, pulling out of work in about a foot of snow, I figured it kicked in. The light came on, and it acted like it locked in 4wd low. Turning radius was minimal, and it had no pickup at all. Pulled into a parking lot, turned the car off, and when I did, it popped and jerked forward like it was coming out of 4wd. Turned it back on, and it's been fine ever since. Keep us updated if you figure it out.

Add your comment to this topic!