Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Flipper's in my Transfer case

sprocketjuice
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
So i'm quite happy after i receive my walker/dynomax 15031 catalytic converter, as its supposed to be a direct (bolt on) replacement for the 89 wrangler 6 stock cat. Sadly 'tis not. The stock converter is supposed to be 27.5” and have a 3 bolt attachment on the upstream end. The 15031 is a scant 13” and has no bolt locations on either end. ::sigh:: i wish i learned how to weld. However this was just the start of my problem. I took off what i just thought was a lower skid plate to get to the cat better. After i found the cat was the wrong size, i started working on the emissions system for my pending smog check. I took a break and came back the next day and did some more smog work then tried to start the car with the “skid plate” still in its lowered position. I hear a vicious metal on metal sound. At first i thought it was my air cleaner rattling against the mounting bolt because i had it raised off. I settled the air cleaner back down and tried again. Same sound. So i get peek under and notice the tranny looks a little low. I then realize that by taking off what i just thought was extra protection, i managed to lower the whole transmission practically out of the car. I jacked the transmission back up and bolted that “skid plate” back on to the frame. Now it starts up just fine, but when I'm breaking, i hear a sound thats kinda like a rapid metallic version of a dolphins high pitched chirp. The sound gets louder the harder i break, but if i engine break theres no problem. Also in reverse i can break to my hearts content and i never so much as hear a peep from flipper. I don't know where to start, any help would be greatly appreciated.

sprocketjuice
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
HA!! I got rid of the sound! I found that the left engine mount was completely destroyed, the right one was ripped and the tyranny mount was severely cracked. I replaced left mount, right mount, transmission/transfer case mount, and the torque arm mount. I lubed the shafts of the bolts in the engine mounts, and the entire back side of the transmission mount with synthetic chassis grease before I installed them. Every thing feels so much smoother, its incredible. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!
HA!! I got rid of the sound! I found that the left engine mount was completely destroyed, the right one was ripped and the tyranny mount was severely cracked. I replaced left mount, right mount, transmission/transfer case mount, and the torque arm mount. I lubed the shafts of the bolts in the engine mounts, and the entire back side of the transmission mount with synthetic chassis grease before I installed them. Every thing feels so much smoother, its incredible.

:rofl::iceslolan:grinyes::grinno::rofl::iceslolan: grinno::grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!