Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lost !!! Need some help with 88 s10

paisan247
03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a 1988 chevy s-10 2.5 standard.

the truck started stalling a coupleweeks back. it usually happens when the truck warms up (after driving around for a bit) and only stalls when given gas. it got worse. it starts hard and when i do get it started it runs like its running on one cylinder and the catalytic converter glows orange. i tryed many things so far. heres what i changed

plugs- didnt work
wires-didnt work
distributor cap-didnt work
rotor-didnt work
throttle position sensor-worked better but still putts and stalls after warming up
fuel filter-nothing
fule pump-nothing

then i was told to change the hall effect sensor in the distributor. changed it today and the truck started right up ran beautiful and did not stall at all when given gas. drove it around the block a couple times parked it in the driveway shut it off. went to start it back up and wouldnt turn over. when it finally did i got the same problem as stated above.:banghead:

IM LOST. i would drive it into a tree but i would probably hurt myself more in the process. ANY HELP WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!

twistedtech
03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
First thing I want to say is the timing is out. It is running late. Did you get the wires mixed up? Are the plugs on the injectors mixed up? Did the chain jump?

paisan247
03-30-2007, 08:28 AM
First thing I want to say is the timing is out. It is running late. Did you get the wires mixed up? Are the plugs on the injectors mixed up? Did the chain jump?

Rechecked wires. firing order is correct and wires are going to proper plugs. there is only one injector and it sprays fine. someone said it might be a fuel pump shutting down when it gets hot starving the engine for the proper amount of fuel but giving it enough air causing it to also run lean and heat up the converter. does this seem logical? thanks for the reply

Blue Bowtie
03-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Verify correct fuel pressure of 11-13 PSIG. Even though the pump and filter are new, the FPR could be dropping pressure. The lean mixture/hot cat converter theory is plausible. There may also be restriction in or after the converter.

drdd
03-30-2007, 10:02 PM
sounds like you have a clogged catalytic converter.

rotten egg smell is also a sign of a clogged cat

if you get under the truck (when it's off and cold) and hit the cat with a rubber hammer, do you hear anything rattling inside it?

I have a 1988 chevy s-10 2.5 standard.

the truck started stalling a coupleweeks back. it usually happens when the truck warms up (after driving around for a bit) and only stalls when given gas. it got worse. it starts hard and when i do get it started it runs like its running on one cylinder and the catalytic converter glows orange. i tryed many things so far. heres what i changed

plugs- didnt work
wires-didnt work
distributor cap-didnt work
rotor-didnt work
throttle position sensor-worked better but still putts and stalls after warming up
fuel filter-nothing
fule pump-nothing

then i was told to change the hall effect sensor in the distributor. changed it today and the truck started right up ran beautiful and did not stall at all when given gas. drove it around the block a couple times parked it in the driveway shut it off. went to start it back up and wouldnt turn over. when it finally did i got the same problem as stated above.:banghead:

IM LOST. i would drive it into a tree but i would probably hurt myself more in the process. ANY HELP WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!

paisan247
04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
sounds like you have a clogged catalytic converter.

rotten egg smell is also a sign of a clogged cat

if you get under the truck (when it's off and cold) and hit the cat with a rubber hammer, do you hear anything rattling inside it?

NO RATLLES AND NO EGG SMELL.......IT RUNS BEAUTIFUL FOR 5 -10 MINUTES AND THEN STARTS TO PUTTER AND CHOKE WHEN IT GETS WARM.....IF U HIT THE GAS IT STALLS OUT AND WILL NOT START AGAIN UNTIL IT COOLS DOWN..

blazes9395
04-01-2007, 09:07 PM
You need to verify the MAP is working properly, giving you correct values. In my onpinion, this sounds like a O2 sensor, and/or a ECM going bad too. Its hard to verify these things without a scanner, and a scanner has its limits on older vehicles too.

drdd
04-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm no expert but, how could a glowing orange catalytic converter be anything other than the cat clogging? (which would restrict the exhaust and cause the heat to build)

Yes there could be other issues related to fuel mix, o2 sensors and such but a glowing orange cat ... gotta be some kind of physical blockage ...

no ?

blazes9395
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Usually a glowing cat is a result of overloading it, and overloading a cat is usually a result of too much unburnt fuel getting to the cat. Now yes there could be damage to the cat causing blockage, further causing it to overheat and self destruction eventually occuring.

Add your comment to this topic!